Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

How come Mike Gravel doesn't get as much publicity as Ron Paul?

They have very similar platforms (IRS, War on Terror, Torture...). Is it just because of Dr.Paul's grassroots campaign managers are better at their jobs? Why doesn't Mike Gravel get the same type of support?

Update:

[Addition]

Jack: ... i'm so tired of ppl criticizing without giving a single proof... how is he insane? please explain.

Dude: would you (or someone reading this) please give some examples of the critical differences between their platforms? Thanks!

Update 2:

[Addition]

Dude: Thanks for the info. Yes, RP is for privatizing health care and Gravel is not. I'm still not convinced that it's a fundamental difference though. Even the video that the answerer beneath you attached had Gravel himself saying he has a lot in common with RP.

However, the popularity level of these two candidates are DRASTICALLY different. I hope Gravel's words get heard by more people.

Update 3:

[Addition]

Larry: before you accuse people, make sure you have evidence to support it. Yes, Ron Paul is radical, but I have yet to hear one thing that wasn't solidly backed up. Please cite one thing he says that you consider as 'conspiracy' and make sure you know what a conspiracy is.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I liked Mike Gravel a lot. I didn't agree a whole lot with him, except for some key issues. Once they kept him out of debates, he seemed to be done for, and never gained momentum. Ron has gained ever since he announced (I think sometime in March).

I don't know what you mean by grassroots "campaign" managers, as grassroots, means outside the actual campaign's control. Paul has a longer record, while Gravel disappeared for a few years from politics. Gravel is from Alaska, and you don't hear much about Alaska in the news. He is also in favor of a form of amnesty, which about 70% of Americans are against.

However, Mike has done some remarkable things as a Senator, including releasing the Pentagon papers, and helping to end the draft for Vietnam. Perhaps the powers that be, have a vendetta against him for those types of actions. He does make a lot of sense. Some of his early Youtube video's might have turned off some internet viewers, and was even ridiculed on some of the news shows.

Here is a clip of him at a Ron Paul rally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_qXCnlp3rw

Youtube thumbnail

&NR=1

• schutt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i substitute into offended while the l. a. circumstances what offered up through the tribune. the way information substitute into reported substitute and had an excellent extra liberal twist. the information source is coming from even decrease than it ever did with each and all the mega mergers. the wealthy is attempting to distort the information for their very own objective, that's why a brilliant number of billionaires are biding for the tribune while it went up on the industry, regardless of it dropping money. i substitute into offended to work out the clicking positioned forth a handful of applicants. through out the race on the democrat component, they only communicate approximately Obama and Hillary. In l. a., they tell you you're able to bypass out to vote, and it is not proper if it is Obama or Hillary. they decline to even point out Republican applicants besides as different Democrats. I easily have notice a sluggish decline in our press as a results of fact the 80's and freedom with it. Democrats have been complaining approximately Bush, yet the two events are accountable. Clinton began to centralize ability with the line merchandise vetos. I attempt listening to the BBC for another attitude

• 1 decade ago

Ron Paul's supporters are nutty. Nutty people always gets you more attention. Paul is a siting member of congress and talks about World Government conspiracy theories you only hear on crazy radio shows so a lot of people are going "DUDE... how did this guy get into congress."

PLUS Paul has gotten the Anti-War Republicans to think he is their best plan and if Anti-War is your single issue then there you go

• 1 decade ago

I'd say it's because Ron Paul has come across as more convincing in the debates, and has a longer history with an established base, since he ran for President as the libertarian candidate in 1988. I enjoy listening to Mike Gravel, but he hasn't been very convincing in his public appearances.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

mike isn't raising cash like Ron Paul is and not all the platform is the same there is big differences between the 2 and those differences are important

At the close of the first quarter 2007 reporting period, the campaign committee had $498 in cash against debts and obligations amounting to $88,515. [6] By the second-quarter 2007 close, the committee had $31,141 in cash on hand, and had collected a total of $175,229 in net contributions during the entire 2008 election cycle. [7] By the end of the third-quarter 2007, the committee had $17,526.55 in cash on hand, and had collected a total of $379,794.85 so far during the 2008 election cycle

ron paul

The federal government has no constitutional authority to fund or control schools. I want to abolish the unconstitutional, wasteful Department of Education and return its functions to the states. By removing the federal subsidies that inflate costs, schools can be funded by local taxes, and parents and teachers can directly decide how best to allocate the resources.

Education - Senator Gravel supports re-ordering national budget priorities in order to improve the American education system. He supports government funding of education from pre-kindergarten to higher education

Universal Healthcare Vouchers - Senator Gravel advocates a universal healthcare system that provides equal medical services to all citizens, paid for by a retail sales tax (a portion of the Progressive Fair tax). Citizens would pay nothing for health benefits.

Health Care / ron paul

The federal government decided long ago that it knew how to manage your health care better than you and replaced personal responsibility and accountability with a system that puts corporate interests first. Our free market health care system that was once the envy of the world became a federally-managed disaster.

Few people realize that Congress forced Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) on us. HMOs rose to prominence through federal legislation, incentives, and coercion.

Now, the Food and Drug Administration's bias toward large pharmaceutical companies enlarges their power, limits treatment options, and drives consumers to seek Canadian medicines. Regulations from D.C. make it virtually impossible for small business owners to cover their employees. The unemployed often cannot afford insurance, meaning those who need basic medical attention overcrowd emergency rooms and drive up premiums.

The federal government will not suddenly become efficient managers if universal health care is instituted. Government health care only means long waiting periods, lack of choice, poor quality, and frustration. Many Canadians, fed up with socialized medicine, come to the U.S. in order to obtain care. Socialized medicine will not magically work here.

Health care should not be left up to HMOs, big drug companies, and government bureaucrats.

It is time to take back our health care. This is why I support:

Making all medical expenses tax deductible.

Eliminating federal regulations that discourage small businesses from providing coverage.

Giving doctors the freedom to collectively negotiate with insurance companies and drive down the cost of medical care.

Making every American eligible for a Health Savings Account (HSA), and removing the requirement that individuals must obtain a high-deductible insurance policy before opening an HSA.

Reform licensure requirements so that pharmacists and nurses can perform some basic functions to increase access to care and lower costs.

By removing federal regulations, encouraging competition, and presenting real choices, we can make our health care system the envy of the world once again.

ill just give you the sites for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gravel_president...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_o...

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

http://www.gravel2008.us/

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Honestly- he's eccentric- but he's quite old (77- too old to be ELECTED into office and begin to serve a 4 year term)- and he's hasn't even raised 300K for his run. Ron Paul has raised millions so he can get his message out.

• 1 decade ago

He lacks the brainwashed masses who think that if they yell louder than anyone, then their group is bigger, so they are winning.

He's another fringe candidate. Biden and Dodd don't exactly get a lot of attention either, and both of them have extensive records of government service.

• qwert
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because Mike Gravel is absolutely insane. He's farther to the left than Dennis Kucinich and unlike Kucinich, he has no idea what he's talking about.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably because he has more support. From real people. Not corporations.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.