Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Are esd wristbands worth it?

My friend and a computer shop owner told me their unnecessary. They told me to just touch the case.

Are they necessary though? BTW the only ones I can find locally are cheap $5 ones that have no English (chinese) on the back. However it looks real with fabric, crocodile clamp etc etc...

Is touching the case really work as efficiently as a wristband? I know cheap Anti-ESD wristbands yeild almost same results as regular ones, but die out quicker because of their fabric.

Favorite Answer

I have repaired countless computers without using a esd wristband. I have also toasted components with out using one. Take my advise and use one. The 5 dollar one will work just fine.

• Mel

The most important thing is that you ground yourself somehow. If touching the case does it, then I guess it is ok. That is what my dad always tells me to do. Given the choice, though, I'd go for the wristband because I KNOW it is connected to the ground. Minimizing risk, you know?

I'm not an expert, but I've always just gone without. Just touch the case or ground yourself if you move a bunch.