can someone please tell me what the hell the "BLACK HOLOCAUST" is.?

as far as i know the only holocaust i've heard of was World War II. and that was Jewish folks, and even MORE Russians were killed

so what gives? this is the first i have ever heard of this.

Update:

the reason i asked is that there is a local radio show here geared towards the black community..they had a guest that week who was to speak on it. as i had never heard about it i was curious.. not that i believe it...but was curious.

hotel rwanda? what is that?

Update 2:

thanks everyone..i appreciate it. :D Peace!!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The terms Black Holocaust and African Holocaust are used to describe the slave trade and the colonization of Africa, which is also known as the Maafa.

To clarify the term "holocaust:"

The term holocaust originally derived from the Greek word holókauston, meaning a "completely (holos) burnt (kaustos)" sacrificial offering to a god. Since the late 19th century, it has been used primarily to refer to disasters or catastrophes.

The word "holocaust" has been widely used since the 17th century to refer to the violent deaths of a large number of people. Winston Churchill, for example, used it before World War II, and others use it to describe the Armenian Genocide of World War I.

Since the 1950s its use has been increasingly restricted, and it is now mainly used to describe the Nazi Holocaust, spelled with a capital H. The word was adopted as a translation of the biblical word Shoa(also spelled Shoah and Sho'ah), meaning "calamity," to refer to the genocide of the European Jews. However, many Jews prefer the term Shoa to its translation for a number of reasons, including the theologically offensive nature of the original meaning of "holocaust."

The usual German term for the extermination of the Jews during the Nazi period was Endlösung der Judenfrage (the "Final Solution of the Jewish Question").

Jews were the sole targets of the "Final Solution," and that term is widely used in both English and German as an alternative to "Holocaust" to specify the extermination of European Jewry.

The word "Holocaust" is also used in a wider sense to describe other actions of the Nazi regime. These include the killing of around half a million Roma and Sinti, the deaths of several million Soviet prisoners of war, along with slave laborers, gay men, Jehovah's Witnesses, the disabled, and political opponents.

The word is further extended to describe events that have no connection with World War II, such as the Armenian genocide of WWI. The "Black Holocaust" refers to the African slave trade; "Rwandan Holocaust" and "Cambodian Holocaust" refer to the Rwanda genocide of 1994 and the mass killings of the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia respectively.

Source(s): references / paraphrasing from wiki
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First, if you are sincerely seeking answers to a question, is there a more respectful way you can ask it without saying WHAT THE HELL IS A.... as if by phrasing your question that way will minimize it in someway. You come off very disrespectful.

Many have already answered the question. There are many races of people that have experienced a Holocaust, no ONE group has been terrorized, killed, murdered, raped or enslaved. Over centuries, it has happened to many, Black people are one of many groups that this has happened to but since you asked specifically about Blacks....

The definition is of holocaust is:

a great or complete slaughter or reckless destruction of life.

The Black Holocaust makes reference to the horrors endured by millions of men, women, and children throughout the African Diaspora.

Rent a movie. Hotel Rwanda might give you some insight. Tell me if what happened to them wasn't a HOLOCAUST. Read a book. Left to Tell is an amazing book with a forward by a favorite author of mine, Wayne Dyer and it is about a woman that survived the Rwandan Holocaust.

Educate yourself so you can ask questions in the future with more respect and tact.

edited to add:

Please refrain from sending me personal emails with your ignorance.

• 1 decade ago

The Black Holocaust is one of the more underreported events in the annals of human history. The Black Holocaust makes reference to the millions of African lives which have been lost during the centuries to slavery, colonization and oppression. The Black Holocaust makes reference to the horrors endured by millions of men, women, and children throughout the African Diaspora. In sheer numbers, depth and brutality, it is a testimony to the worst elements of human behavior and the strongest elements of survival.

i got this info from:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Classroom/991...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The harsh-ship that the African Diaspora endured. A lot of people will say that Black people weren't the only slaves to try to minimize that affects that slavery had on the African Diaspora.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

That guy is to blame indoors the court of public opinion. no count variety if he's to blame in fact, is of no result. he would be carried out by making use of the gadget or by making use of the persons, the two way his existence is over. Do I believe the black panthers? hell no, yet whilst it wasn't them it would be somebody else.

• Trish
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

False history called Afrocentrism.Slavery existed across the globe and Blacks were not the only ones to be enslaved.And this includes Rwanda,because that term is applied arbitrarily.There were other real holocausts in the 20th century that deserve that appelation though.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's misused hyperbole. It's intended to raise awareness to a non-existent cause that, if said with conviction, will be believed by many of the less intelligent members of a community. It's a great lead in to telling people why they should follow a particular idea that they normally wouldn't.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Terror that all EO policies will be done away with and they will finally have to compete on equal ground. Terror that blaming whitey for all their problem will not longer be valid.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Trans-atlantic slave trade..

Specifically those Africans who died on thier way to the Americas..

• 1 decade ago

Another made up piece of bulljive to try to equate the plight of blacks to the plight of the Jews when the two are completely different and unrelated things.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.