TB eventer! asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

off the track TB's?

i have trained horses before, and would consider myself capable of training/re-training MOST horses to be suitable for beginner riders. i can't REALLY get them to be high level but i am still learning so who knows whats in the future!..but anyway.

i currently own an OTTB who i got when he was 14/17 [depending on who you ask] i have trained him, and when i got him he still had many of the common race horse habits. i want to get a OTTB from a trainer and use him for low level eventing. Is there any TB specific things i should know about training? i have a very good pro trainer but he will be my project. Also, i generally train by just riding.. if that makes sense. i can just tell what a horse needs and what i have to do to get there, will this work with a OTTB?

any advice or info about them would be greatly appreciated! also, what do you think of "julie forsure" on this page?

http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/trainerli...

this is his picture:

http://canterusa.org

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In the Tb world, breeding means just about everything. If you are to re-train OTTBs, start with the best bred you can find. If you are near a racetrack, go there and let trainers know you are looking to re-train one. Leave your phone number with one you trust. He/she will return the call when OTTBs come available for free.

Trainers can mess up a racehorse in a lot of ways, and believe me they do. There are many horses that were good one year and done the next. If they are geldings, they ar eof no use to a trainer. They want to unload. It cost an owner $1500/month and they don't want to pay that amount for a horse that is done. They will give them away to a good home. Look for the best bred animal. They tend to relax and turn into great hunt/jumpers, dressage,etc. They are the smarter ones.

In order to make this message short, stay away from any of "the Cats" babies from Storm Cat or his sons. They are a bad breed to do anything but race with. Chances are good they are badly conformed and they are nuts! Stay away from small state breds. Stick to KY,NY and maybe CA bred horses. The smaller the state, the less of a stud, the worse breeding. Yes generalizations but true. A TB is 40% breeding and 60% environment. Assuming all environments are the same, it comes down to breeding. Find one well bred. I've owned both ways- for racing and for shows. Either way the better the breeding, the better the horse. Try to stay away from any inbreeding within the first four generations. Inbreeding keeps the hot, which is good for the track- not so good for re-training. Good Luck and thank you for thinking about the OTTBs. They really do need people like you to give them a great life. The smarter ones seem to know it and re-pay you a hundred fold. Good luck. If you need help, let me know. I'll be able to tell you which are well bred and which are not.

Source(s): owning racehorses.
  • 1 decade ago

The horse if a beauty!!!!

Give him the reins. I have an OTTB, and don't give him a death grip on the reins or he's ready to race.

Be calm relax, and have patience - remember these horses were trained with HIGH energy and anxiousness. The more relaxed you are the better they are, and they will learn to trust. It's not only retraining their riding style, but horse and human relationship all over again.

• 1 decade ago

wow hees gorgeous!lol<3...anyways umm i think if u had a trainer help u and stuff it wud be fine, like sometimes they can be hyper and sometimes they can be the sweetest things ever, it just depends on the horse. i know this one ottb hoo was a perfect horse. he has a soft mouth great temperment and does w,t,c lope and everything and he has pretty scensitive sides so it doesnt take much to get him going a lot, all this stuff didnt take his trainer like anything practically to do

it was hard though becuz he had never been out in a field or anyting befor and he had never ever eaten grass in his hole entire life so he didnt know how to eat grass so that took training and he was not very socialized with other horses so that took time too

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your quite the horselover to undertake this work of love! Here is a great article for you--good luck! Results 1 - 10 of about 16,300 for retraining race horses. (0.27 seconds)

Retraining of Racehorses - http://www.ror.org.ukRoR: Retraining of Racehorses (RoR) charity website. RoR is British horseracing's official charity established by the British Horseracing Board and The ...

www.ror.org.uk/

en.allexperts.com/q/Horse-Racing-2248/Vice-Barn-Sour-Hopeless.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.