Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

The mitchell report was an absolute waste of time...agree or disagree?

Honestly, what is the value in a prolonged, expensive investigation into what everyone already knows is an epidemic. No one will be punished based on the report (and rightfully so) so what exactly has the report done? NOTHING. Steroids and HGH are a problem in baseball...yawn! No kidding. Either create a comprehensive piss testing program or let everyone get huge biceps and tiny testicles. Why have some formal investigation to prove the well known?

PS HGH was not banned by baseball until 2005. So why does it matter that Pettitte used HGH in 2001? I don't get it. I think my great grandfather regularly smoked opium back in 1925 before anti-drug laws...now that it is illegal, lets go give him a bunch of crap about it.

Favorite Answer

disagree. the mitchell report is not the be-all, end-all, of the roids era. it is what it is, and that's a comprehensive report on what really happened with recomendations for going forward. the most significant thing in the report is, it officially asseses blame not only to greedy cheating players but to baseball as a whole. it says in black and white very clearly that the owners, commishioner, mangement, and the players are all responsible. and when you consider that baseball commishioned the report, well then baseball has to accept their part of the blame. that's an important thing!

it was not intended nor is it a witch hunt of players who did PED's. the names in that report are almost of no consequence, and we all know it is not half of the players who used PED's.

it can be a starting point for baeball to move forward in a positive manner. will baseball? i don't know, that's up to baseball. but the report is signifcant and an important thing for baseball. in my opinion it is the begining of the end of the roid era in ball.

• Have you read the report????

1. To answer your question directly, no I don't think it was a total waste of time. Why? Because until they DEFINE the problem, they can't FIX the problem. The Mitchell report was done to fact find, define the issues at hand and how much of an issue they truly were, and offer suggestions to everyone on how to fix the issues. The report wasn't done to state the obvious - it NEVER states if performance enhancers are an issue or not. It goes on THAT basis. Of course it is an issue! One would have to be a moron to think it isn't! What Mitchell was hired to do is find out how much of an issue it was, how deep in MLB it is, and figure out how it can be dealt with. And after reading the report, I think that Mitchell did what he was supposed to do.

2. On the issue of Pettitte - HGH was illegal long before 2005. If you read the actual wording of the drug rules in baseball, it is officially labeled a "controlled substance" in the medical field. With this being the case, as soon as it received that label (I believe it was in the 1990's), it became illegal to use HGH without the direct care of a physician. This means that players and trainers couldn't bring the stuff into the clubhouse and use it. The doctor perscribing the stuff had to have direct contact with the patient, and the patient had to have regular visits to the perscribing physician to monitor the progress of the medication. HGH isn't a medication by law that a doctor can simply state "20 refills" on the script. EACH time the perscription is filled, the doctor has to be contacted and the order has to go through the doctor. Now how can someone "try" HGH twice in that environment? The only way is ILLEGALLY.

MLB rules state that no medication can be used for any other purpose than what it is approved for. Steroids and HGH have NEVER been approved by the FDA for performance enhancing. Nor is there significant data to support that they actually provide a service to athletes beyond healing from an injury. Now, are you going to tell me that a player uses HGH a couple of times for an injury on a "trial" basis? Even me - without a medical degree - can tell you that NOTHING will work if only tried two times to fix anything. It has to build up in your system. The only reason to use HGH is for its lack of detectability.

The Mitchell report offers some excellent suggestions. One of them is to have a completely independent testing process - as in a third party is responsible that doesn't work for or report to the Comminisher's office or the Player's Assoc. This testing/lab should be paid for to do so many tests per month at complete random, and they should have no connections with any aspect of baseball other than to submit their findings and get paid. Without this, no true, honest testing will ever commense.

I also find it sickening how much of a blind eye so many turned to it to put economic issues ahead of drug/health issues. And the more I read of the report, the less respect I have for the Player's Association. I had little respect to begin with, especially after the strike that just about destroyed the game of baseball. They think of one thing and one thing only - MONEY. It isn't about what is best for the players, but what is best for the players wallets. That isn't how to represent anyone. And I don't think they should be anywhere near deciding anything about drug testing - they have all but shown everyone where their "interests" lie. It certainly isn't for the best interests of anyone's well being.

It was nothing more than a witch hunt that is now out of control. People's lives and careers have been ruined just for the sake of a incompetent baseball commissioner. Bud Selig is the lowest form of life on this planet. This is the same scum bag who turned his back on Barry Bonds just so he could break Hank Aaron's home run record. He knew that millions of dollars would be lost if he had done his job correctly and force Bonds to confess to his dishonesty. Selig let the fans buy overpriced tickets just to see steroid Bonds continue to cheat his way into the records books. Where is this information in the Mitchell Report? Nowhere!!

DISAGREE. Its helping clean up the mess that has ruined americas pastime over the last couple of decades. its a great thing. And real fans do care about the use of steroids. people who think they dont obviously arent true fans. I am a fan of baseball and love it. It saddens me to see this happening, but the mitchell report is another step that is going to help clean it up.

I agree, this is doing nothing but tarnishing some great players reputations, and putting a real bad image on baseball. Good point about unbanned substances by the way! If you think about it, we created this monster in the first place! Not you and me, but society in general. We put so much pressure on professional athletes, we idolize them as hero's when they're good, and throw things at them and boo them when they're bad. I don't condone performance enhancement drugs, but I think something could have been done behind closed doors, without this public display of bad taste.

Disagree!

The Mitchell report brings "reality" to the game. Can you just imagine all of the players taking steroids.

It's illegal and Selig needs to clean up the game!

Until they do, I will not spend a penny on baseball.

Clemens should go to jail!

It did have the indirect benefit of I got to hear David Justice talk last night. He's got a great voice. I had forgotten about him. He had a nice swing when he pulled to right on high fastballs. He finished his career with over 1000 RBIs and over 300 HRs.

Yes. One could have deducted that much about the MLB without even reading the Mitchell Report.

I think it was all a big show towards the players in any sports league. They're trying to scare them into not using steroids. But they need to figure out a punishment that will do the scaring part.

i agree

fans don't care about the use of steroids, attendance was as high as ever last year. All it will cause is a lot of upset players that say that they never did anything wrong.