urgent question about breast feeding 9 days old infant?

i deliverd my daughter almost two weeks early and she was 6 pounds and 12 ounces . when i was in hospital she lost 10 per of her weight so we had to supplement her. now she is not gaining weight because i thought she getting enought breast milk. we were giving her less formula to boast the milk supply. she is at 6 pounds when she was 8 days old.i do not want her to suffer just because i want her to brest feed her and increase the formula feeding. i started to pump i only get hardly 1 ounce from both breast. if i nurse her she wound not wake up every 2 to 3 hours because she takes formula.. i need some advice what should i do? i did not have feeding problem with my oldr daughter and now i am feeling like faliure. should i continue what i am doing? or should i quit breast feeding alltogether? how do i increase my supply? and i have medela harmony pump is this efficent enough or should i get electric one? please advice.and which formula is best. thanks in advance.

• viento
    Best Answer

Contact La Leche League in your area now. This is the best advice that I can give you. Here is a link to their website: http://www.llli.org// . When you go there, look up your area and see who the leaders in a group near you area.

My son was ity bitty with a horrible case of thrush. That may pale in comparison with what you are going through but he was 8 weeks old and on a breast strike for about 8 hours at the worst. I called each leader until I got one. She was so helpful and he was latched on and feeding with in fifteen minutes from my call. I am not saying that all will go that smoothly for you, just that I have found the lll leaders to be far more helpful that the so called lactation consultants in the hospitals (who are often ready with a bottle at the first sign of difficulty).

I hope that you don't give up on breast feeding. Especially if you are thinking that you are only giving your daughter one ounce at a time. My son is five months old, 20 lbs. and growing still. When I pump it is rare for me to get more than 3 ozs between both breasts and just this week I only got 1 oz out of the two of them. This does not mean that your daughter is only get 1 oz. I see this comment posted all of the time and it really makes me sad that people are not getting educated about this. The pump will never be an accurate measure of what your baby is eating.

The next bit is from kellymom.com and I thought this might be helpful to you:

A few things to keep in mind when evaluating weight gain

A 5-7% weight loss during the first 3-4 days after birth is normal. A 10% weight loss is sometimes considered normal, but this amount of weight loss is a sign that the breastfeeding needs to be evaluated. It's a good idea to have a routine weight check at 5 days (baby should be gaining rather than losing weight by day 5), so that any developing problems can be caught and remedied early.

Baby should regain birth weight by 10 days to 2 weeks. If your baby lost a good bit of weight in the early days, or if your baby is sick or premature, it may take longer to regain birth weight. If baby does not regain birth weight by two weeks, this is a sign that the breastfeeding needs to be evaluated.

Always figure weight gain from the lowest point rather than from baby's birth weight.

Baby needs to be weighed on the same scale with the same amount of clothing (preferably naked) each time to get an accurate picture of weight gain. Different scales can give very different readings (I've personally seen a difference of a pound in two different scales); clothing or diapers can vary in weight and throw the numbers off. The scale should be zeroed before weighing, and baby should be centered on the scale tray. It's never a bad idea to do a second measurement (it should be close to the first) and then use an average of the two measurements. If your baby is very active or distressed, don't expect to get an accurate measurement. Babies grow in spurts rather than at a steady rate - to keep from needless worrying, it's generally best to weigh baby no more often than once a week.

Nurse A LOT - a baby can empty your breast WAY better than any pump can - then, this will help with the supply and demand of your breastmilk. I was told that I needed to nurse as much as she will take....then, top her off with an ounce of formula. because:

I had the exact same situation......our baby lost 10% as well.... we had to go her pedi every other day for about a week....and her pedi said that by 2 weeks she should be up to her birth weight.... that did not happen....she was her birth weight at 4 weeks. Every baby is different.... She is very healthy now - 8 months - 17 lbs....

you are not a failure.... you can always contact your local La Leche League....

Stop the formula feedings...it will only disrupt your milk production. Send someone to a store to purchase Mother's Milk tea for you. Drink 2 cups daily and keep your baby on your breast as often as she wants. The harmony pump is great. You shouldnt really need a pump at this time. No formula is best

Start nursing. Pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you have. When I pump- I am only able to get 2 oz. out at a time. This is NORMAL. An electric pump is ALWAYS better than a manual. I had a manual when our son was a baby- and that was work! I have an Ameda and you can pick one up for $150.00- I work full-time and it was perfect!

www.amedababy.com

Cut out the formula. Nurse only. Start with the breast- let her nurse for comfort, let her nurse when she is hungry, lay down and get comfy and nurse her. It is not too late at this point. Your milk supply is not even established as yet.

Good luck to you!

Edit: You should take a prenatal vitamin. My midwife suggested I take one for a month- but I am still taking them because they keep me healthy as well.

Try eating oatmeal. This is not scientifically proven but moms who eat it notice an increase in breast milk.

STOP FORMULA FEEDING AND START NURSING! pumping alone isnt very good to boost you milk supply, your baby needs to suckle at your breast at EVERY feed. You must wake her every 2-4 hours (no longer than 4hours between feeds) and make her feed, if you give her formula you will ruin her, she will not be able to digest it properly (because babies cant and that is why they get so many problems) and wont want to feed from you. Dont worry about her weight, my daughter didnt put weight on very well but we did okay. Just persevere with it and PLEASE stop giving her formula! Also, the Avent ISIS is a really good pump, pump after she has had a feed and either top her up with it or freeze it. Another thing aswell is tio make sure she is feeding for at least 20mins on one side and that you offer her the other side too.

everyone is giving good advice. Do you have WIC in your area? Womens Infants and Children. They help families get formula, milk ect. The nurse that I had was really helpful with nursing. Call the lactation nurse at the hospital where you delivered your baby. As someone else said your milk may not be in yet, and the more you nurse the more milk you will produce. Let your baby nurse as long as she wants and as often. This will help you produce milk. Drink lots of water and liquids. Eat several small meals a day and get as much rest as you can.

• Kat H

Are you drinking lots of fluids? Drinking extra water will help you produce more milk. You can also get some tea called "mother's milk" I found that I had to drink about 4 cups of the stuff a day to make a difference and it was just easier to drink a ton of water. Wake her up to nurse, take her clothes off or wipe her face with a wet washcloth. She might only nurse a few minutes on each breast, but it will stimulate you to produce more milk.

Source(s): Had this problem with baby #1

I'm really confused, which isn't abnormal as I never sleep anymore as I have a newborn and a toddler.

What was your daughter's LOWEST weight, and what day?

How much formula are you giving her PER DAY? How much formula per FEED? How OFTEN?

How often does she nurse now?

Was your baby jaundiced?

How often did she nurse the day before you started supplementing and on what day did you start supplementing?

Are you using a bottle to supplement?

Have you seen a certified lactation consultant (not a lactation nurse)?

Have you spoken to La Leche League?

Source(s): I am checking back, btw.

I find that pumping is not a good indicator of how much milk you have. I have LOTS of milk and yet I can't hardly pump a drop. I would try to nurse and supplement when she needs more.

I agree with the responses before mine. Also, stop supplementing & nurse her more. I had a similar problem with my daughter. If you stop supplementing, you will produce more milk & she will become more accustomed to your breast. You aren't a failure, just keep doing it & weed out the formula.