1997 ford pick-up F-250 4WD 7.3 diesel. I cannot find the cam sensor. Help please.?

I thought it was on the right front [pass side] of the engine block, but I cannot find it. I followed every wire. I think. Could someone be accurate as to where exactly it is. Thank you. I can feel a 5 star rating coming on.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

How to change the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel

Article By: John Heimel

1. Make sure you have the correct part. This depends on the serial number of your engine which should be located on a sticker below the front of the plastic cover for the fuel bowl. Neither Ford or International calls it a "CPS", Ford calls it a CMP sensor and International calls it a CAMP sensor.

Ford Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 F6T012K073A

Serial #375549 and above F7T012K073A

International Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 1821720C98

Serial #375549 and above 1825899C93

2. Remove the #9 fuse under the hood (not in the dash).

3. You may want to remove the belt for easier access, but it's not necessary.

4. Disconnect the CMP sensor electrical connector. The sensor is located towards the bottom left on the front of the engine. You'll see the single wire bundle going to the sensor.

5. Remove the old CMP sensor using a 10mm socket. Be careful not to round off the bolt (there is only 1). It's on there real tight and is tough to get to.

6. Take the new CMP sensor and coat the seal with either motor oil or Vaseline and intall it. Install the bolt and reconnect the wire connector.

7. Reinstall the #9 fuse under the hood and you should be ready to go.

Email Print Add Comment

How helpful was this article to you? 5 - Very Helpful 4 3 - Somewhat Helpful 2 1 - Not Helpful

Related Articles

Testing the TPS (throttle position sensor). ECM code 124

7-30-2004

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel Used Truck Buyers Guide

12-27-2006

99-03 Turbo Removal & Wicked Wheel Installation

7-28-2004

How To Change The Fuel Filter On A 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

12-10-2004

User Comments

Add Comment

No comments have been posted.

.: Powered by Lore 1.5.5

Ford-Trucks.com and Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Inc. is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.

© 1997-2007 Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Inc., Please see our legal notices and privacy statement.

Home

FTE Home Page Forums

List New Posts Register Search Chapters Spotter's Cards Galleries

List Manage / Create Ride Of The Week Old Pictorial Articles/Specs

List Articles Search Specifications Automotive Calculators VIN Decoder Recalls/TSBs

Recalls TSBs Full Text TSBs News

Index 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 Events

Current Events Yearly List Add Event Classifieds

Main Index Place An Ad Newest Ads Search Classifieds Misc

Support Live ChatFree Decal Directory Link To Us Time Slips Club FTE List ArchivesRepMinder Press Reviews Shop

Online Store Parts & Accessories Shop Sponsors Advertise

Ad Info Media Kit

• 3 years ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.