1997 ford pick-up F-250 4WD 7.3 diesel. I cannot find the cam sensor. Help please.?
I thought it was on the right front [pass side] of the engine block, but I cannot find it. I followed every wire. I think. Could someone be accurate as to where exactly it is. Thank you. I can feel a 5 star rating coming on.
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
How to change the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel
Article By: John Heimel
1. Make sure you have the correct part. This depends on the serial number of your engine which should be located on a sticker below the front of the plastic cover for the fuel bowl. Neither Ford or International calls it a "CPS", Ford calls it a CMP sensor and International calls it a CAMP sensor.
Ford Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 F6T012K073A
Serial #375549 and above F7T012K073A
International Part #'s: Before engine serial #375549 1821720C98
Serial #375549 and above 1825899C93
2. Remove the #9 fuse under the hood (not in the dash).
3. You may want to remove the belt for easier access, but it's not necessary.
4. Disconnect the CMP sensor electrical connector. The sensor is located towards the bottom left on the front of the engine. You'll see the single wire bundle going to the sensor.
5. Remove the old CMP sensor using a 10mm socket. Be careful not to round off the bolt (there is only 1). It's on there real tight and is tough to get to.
6. Take the new CMP sensor and coat the seal with either motor oil or Vaseline and intall it. Install the bolt and reconnect the wire connector.
7. Reinstall the #9 fuse under the hood and you should be ready to go.
Email Print Add Comment
How helpful was this article to you? 5 - Very Helpful 4 3 - Somewhat Helpful 2 1 - Not Helpful
Testing the TPS (throttle position sensor). ECM code 124
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel Used Truck Buyers Guide
99-03 Turbo Removal & Wicked Wheel Installation
How To Change The Fuel Filter On A 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
No comments have been posted.
.: Powered by Lore 1.5.5
Ford-Trucks.com and Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Inc. is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.
© 1997-2007 Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Inc., Please see our legal notices and privacy statement.
FTE Home Page Forums
List New Posts Register Search Chapters Spotter's Cards Galleries
List Manage / Create Ride Of The Week Old Pictorial Articles/Specs
List Articles Search Specifications Automotive Calculators VIN Decoder Recalls/TSBs
Recalls TSBs Full Text TSBs News
Index 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 Events
Current Events Yearly List Add Event Classifieds
Main Index Place An Ad Newest Ads Search Classifieds Misc
Support Live ChatFree Decal Directory Link To Us Time Slips Club FTE List ArchivesRepMinder Press Reviews Shop
Online Store Parts & Accessories Shop Sponsors Advertise
Ad Info Media Kit