Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

If a dog's tail is docked, is it illegal?

I heard if a dog's tail is docked it is illegal is it true?

Best Answer

No, not that I'm aware of anyway, in this country. Several breeds only meet the AKC/BKC standard as a result of tail docking.

Some animal-rights groups proclaim the changing a dog's "natural" appearance is wrong and even painful.

However, in my experience tail docking can often be accomplished in a non-painful way. That is, tightly wrapping a rubber band around a puppies tail so the blood flow ceases. After a short time, the excess tail will simply fall off - causing no apparent damages or pain to the pup.

I've had a number of Yorkshire terriers over the years, and none have been traumatized by docking + they adhere to their bredding standard.

It's, I sure, far less traumatic, than a male human child being circumcised.

Depends upon where you live and if the extremist animal rightsers have gotten hold of the maliable inane public's mindset and had their rights taken away in their attempt to totally eliminate all companion animal ownership (their own stated ultimate goal).

If you live in a place/country that still considers the rights of the individual and hasn't started the AR's agenda yet, then no, having your dog's tail docked isn't illegal, just like responsibly owning and caring for your dog/cat/bird/hampster/etc., isn't illegal, yet :)

add: Danielle, the naturally occuring 'docked' tail has been around in canines for a long time -- it was attempted by several breeds in the past to try to be perpetuated but it is considered a 'lethal gene' that produces it as it eventually will affect the caudal nerves and the gene is associated with other health issues, from what I understand. I have seen it occur in several breeds and it doesn't have anything to do with a breed being docked for a long time or that the tail is not useful, it just happens and then someone gets the idea to try to perpetuate it - a decent thought but it just brings with it too many problems and isn't sustaining.

• Help

Only illegal if you do it yourself and a dogs tail should only be docked by a vet.Tails should be docked at 3 to 5 days old after this time surgery is required.

Source(s): Breeder in Mississippi
  • D

In most places it is not, and it is considered a standard for a lot of breeds.

An interesting note: my boss raises Australian shepards and says that every once and awhile, a pup is born with a shorter tail, or the tails are so flimsy, they snap off and dock themselves because the practice has been done for so long, and genetically, the tails are useless to the breed. The naturally docked tails don't look as clean as the surgically docked ones, but it is interesting.

• rjn529

Some countries have made it illegal to modify a dog for cosmetic reasons - European countries. In the US, it is not illegal, although many people do not dock a tail if the dog is not going into a conformation show ring.

No way. It may be in some other countries, but remember, most Rottweilers don't have tails, and their owners aren't fined.

I hope you don't want to do that to your dog.. its not illegal, but its also not necessary

I believe in some countries it is but in the USA no it isn't.

In some places it is illegal.

See this link =

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog)

No it is not illegal.