Why doesn't my pc read the secondary IDE?

Can i make one a master and the second a cable select? I have currently made one a master and the second the slave and it still doesn't read

I have changed the bios settings enabled because it didn't read in auto...please somebody help me :(

Favorite Answer

First, id verify that both devices work on the IDE independently(in other words, alone). Some older IDE devices need an older IDE cable. Second, if you have changed the bios settings, and its set at master and slave, it should read the device, unless the second IDE connection is bad(swap out an IDE cable to test it). Outside of that, I would just double check all the jumper settings, a master and slave would work, or setting both to cable select.

• KeWr

Make sure your primary is set for Master/multiple...some drives have different jumpers for master - alone vs master - with slave.

TO use cable select, BOTH drives on the chain have to be put on cable select.

If you have another IDE channel, you can try making the drive master / slave there...depending on your CD drive (if any present) and how it's set.

There are many factors involve in this matter. Any how you can check alternate option I mean to say changing other cable (IDE2). another option is you can use your CD rom cable with your second HD and your system HD with only one cable.

Have a nice day.