If I microwave a cotton shirt to dry it, will it shrink?

If so, how badly? Just one size?

It's a cotton t-shirt I've washed and dried many times. I need it for tomorrow morning (4 am) but my dryer is broken and I don't have time to go to a laundromat.

I'm washing it in warm and rinsing it in cold, if that makes a difference.

Would I be better off hang drying it and hoping for the best?

Favorite Answer

Don't put in the microwave. Hang it up and use your blow dryer on it. It shouldn't shrink.

Anything that is more than 50 % cotton is at risk of some shrinkage, with higher cotton contents the more shrinkage you will see. Hot water in the washer will also shrink your clothes, but probably not as much. Hanging it up to dry is a good idea, but as was pointed out, depending on the weave of your fabric hanging on a hanger could cause the fabric to pull and leave dimples in your shoulders or worse, stretch the fabric there beyond recoverable. A better plan is to find a place where it can drape over something or lay flat to dry and then hang. Good Luck.

hang it to dry. A microwave sucks all the moisture out of what ever is in the micro. A dryer uses dry heat, a microwave uses, well micro waves. That why every micro has the look through screen with those dots. They are there to keep the radiant waves from escaping.

Microwaving it will burn it. I'd recommend using a hair dryer instead. One time when I was really desperate for underclothes I dried them in the oven, but I had to watch it constantly or else it would catch on fire.

Source(s): I've been there.

don't nuke it, it will burn. hang it up and it should dry, have you got a hair dryer? you can touch it up in the morning with that if its still damp.

Just hand dry it.

I didnt do it and im may burn when on a high temp.!

call the fire department before you nuke it,, you will look real neat in it while they watch your house burn down!!