Landlord says he gave me 24 hours notice...?

I live in Ontario. My landlord called me a few hours ago and left me a message stating he would be here to give an inspection of my rental unit at 1:00pm tomorrow. I have been out of town, he mentioned he left written notice in my mailbox this morning but I never received it. All I received was an empty envelope that was never sealed, (or miraculously opened!) addressed to me and my husband from them. Is that empty envelope considered notice? Can I say no when they come to the door, or call and say no in the morning if they are there?

Update:

I have nothing to hide. It's not that I WANT to say no or that I am going to, I'm just wondering if I could.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

hide the meth lab and let him in

• 1 decade ago

Hope this helps.

About Entering the Rental Unit

Entry without written notice

A landlord can enter a tenant’s rental unit without written notice if:

there is an emergency such as a fire,

the tenant agrees to let the landlord in,

a care home tenant has agreed in writing that the landlord can come in to check on their condition at regular intervals.

A landlord can enter a rental unit without written notice, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. if:

the rental agreement requires the landlord to clean the unit – unless the agreement allows different hours for cleaning,

the landlord or tenant has given a notice of termination, or they have an agreement to end the tenancy, and the landlord wants to show the unit to a potential new tenant (in this case, although notice is not required, the landlord must try to tell the tenant before entering for this reason).

Entry with 24 hours written notice

A landlord can enter the rental unit between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., and only if they have given the tenant 24 hours written notice:

to make repairs or do work in the unit,

to carry out an inspection, where reasonable, in order to determine whether repairs are needed,

to allow a potential mortgagee or insurer of the complex to view the unit,

to allow a potential purchaser to view the rental unit (note: the Act also allows a registered real estate agent or broker to enter for this purpose if they have written authorization from the landlord),

to allow an engineer, architect or other similar professional to make an inspection for a proposed conversion under the Condominium Act; or

for any reasonable purpose allowed by the rental agreement.

The notice must include the reason why the landlord wants to enter the rental unit and must state what time, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., the landlord will enter the unit. If the landlord gives the tenant the correct notice, the landlord can enter even if the tenant is not at home....

• 1 decade ago

Renting sucks in that you are sometimes reminded you don't own the joint. However, you do have rights. But what constitutes 24 hours notice?

Myself, I like to give 48 hours just because I know *I* wouldn't want someone to show up at my house with just 24 hours notice. But if you go to work at 9AM and I show up at your house and paste a notice on your door at 10AM and you don't see it until you get home at 5PM, is that 24 hours notice?

Obviously, an empty envelope is NOT notice. Your state probably has rules as to what constitutes proper notice. Look it up or contact your legal aid to find out.

You can politely ask them to come back some other time. Tell him about the empty envelope- he's probably wondering if he remembered to put the notice in.

Source(s): I'm a property manager.
  • 1 decade ago

The answer is that you can always say whatever you want. You can refuse to let him in. It would then be a he said/she said matter. He would say he gave notice and you refused entry therefore you violated the lease. You would say that he never gave proper notice, you received an empty envelope followed by a phone call.

It would be up to the magistrate to decide who is in the right. Personally I would think that they would find for the landlord. He seems to be following through on his duties. Maybe there was something in the envelope, maybe there was nothing. Either way he followed through with e phone call to ensure access. A judge would probably find for him if it went to court.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Usually the law states that the landlord is to give tenant 24-48 hours notice before entering premises for repairs. Since you received an empty envelope can you prove it was your landlord that left it? Did you ask him to doany repairs or is he just doing a routine inspection?

Source(s): 16 yrs real estate
  • 1 decade ago

Can you read the terms of your rental which should be spelled out in your lease? Are you on bad terms with your landlord? Will there be hardship or penalty if the landlord sees your place without the time to prepare? Will you be at home at 1pm? Can you chain the door from the inside, and deny him entrance. Law of this sort will be very local, and depend on your lease. You may be able to get advice from local tenant advocate associations. Also, a lawyer may be able to give you advice, and the initial consultation may be free. Can you have a friend over, to witness the 1pm interaction? Hopefully everything works out for you.

• 1 decade ago

In the first place he isn't suppose to be putting anything in your mail box, If he lives local, tell him you want another 24 hours so someone can be there. If he is coming from out of town, just let him in and get it over with or he is going to think your hiding something.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

do you have something to hide? If not, then what's the problem. Buy your own home and you won't have that problem.

• 1 decade ago

Throw everything in the closets. and let him in! lol

• 1 decade ago

try to live before he show up

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.