Landlord says he gave me 24 hours notice...?

I live in Ontario. My landlord called me a few hours ago and left me a message stating he would be here to give an inspection of my rental unit at 1:00pm tomorrow. I have been out of town, he mentioned he left written notice in my mailbox this morning but I never received it. All I received was an empty envelope... show more I live in Ontario. My landlord called me a few hours ago and left me a message stating he would be here to give an inspection of my rental unit at 1:00pm tomorrow. I have been out of town, he mentioned he left written notice in my mailbox this morning but I never received it. All I received was an empty envelope that was never sealed, (or miraculously opened!) addressed to me and my husband from them. Is that empty envelope considered notice? Can I say no when they come to the door, or call and say no in the morning if they are there?
Update: I have nothing to hide. It's not that I WANT to say no or that I am going to, I'm just wondering if I could.