How many people think the confederate flag represents racism?

I was born and grew up in the GREAT southland. Now I live in PA. Soon to be moving back to Tennessee. I think it is a sign of heratige and not hate. What are your thoughts

Favorite Answer

i agree, even though i live in south florida i always liked the way of southern living, oh yeah i love tennessee

• 2bzy

I was born in the south and spent a lot of time studying and trying to understand the American civil war. To me, the confederate flag represents an attempt by the wealthy to perpetuate a feudal system that was out of date and un-American and needed slavery to continue. They tried to do this by starting a war in which mostly middle class, non-slave owners fought, stirred up by emotional speeches warning of loss of freedom, heritage, and a way of life which they did not even have a part in. I see the flag as a reminder of how horrible war is, how many lives were lost, and how much progress was retarded. That "heritage" it represents is not really something to be all that proud of, but I have to admit a certain pride in how my ancestors were able to fight with such limited resources. Had I been in their position, though, I would have gone out west right at the beginning!

I agree, I'm black, and believe it is apart of the south's heritage. Now would I wear it no, but I know the hate that it did store. Does it store hate now, no, unless you make it like that. It's just a flag that represents the South's culture, and if people are offended by it, then they need to get off the defense and stop looking for ways to call people racist.

• Amelia

I think that that born and rasied southerners (like myself) all see it as a symbol OF the South... the confederate flag doesn't purely represents slavery, therefore it's not racist. However, some people take it very offensivly. The Confederate flag is a symbol of the lifestyle of texans, and all other southern states.

And who says all southerners are redneck, drinkin hicks? You have got some learning to do, y'all

I'm from Connecticut and from what I've heard from various people is that it represents racism and heritage. I've always thought it represented racism because it was always the racist kids that would have the confederate flags hanging in their car or on their windshield. What would you think if you only saw the racist kids with those kinds of flags? Just my opinion and experience.

there have been a number of flags of the accomplice States of u.s. used for the period of its lifestyles from 1fe3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4861fe3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4 to 1fe3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4865. because of the fact the top of the yank Civil conflict, very own and respected use of accomplice flags, and of flags derived from those, has continued under some controversy. an oblong variation of the conflict flag utilized by utilising some accomplice military contraptions, now called "The accomplice Flag" or "The accomplice conflict Flag", in spite of its never having traditionally represented the CSA as a rustic, has develop right into a broadly known image of the South. it extremely is called the "rebellion", or "Dixie" flag, and is in lots of cases incorrectly stated because of the fact the "Stars and Bars" (the certainly "Stars and Bars" is the 1st nationwide Flag, which used an fullyyt diverse layout). in the process the 1st a million/2 of the 20 th century the accomplice flag enjoyed renewed acceptance. for the period of worldwide conflict II some U.S. protection stress contraptions with Southern nicknames, or made up extra often than not of Southerners, made the flag their unofficial logo. the united statesColumbia (CL-fifty six) flew a accomplice military Ensign as a conflict flag for the period of try against in the South Pacific in worldwide conflict II. This replaced into accomplished in honor of Columbia, the deliver's namesake and the capital city of South Carolina, the 1st state to secede from the Union. some squaddies carried accomplice flags into conflict. After the conflict of Okinawa a accomplice flag replaced into raised over Shuri citadel by utilising a Marine from the self-styled "rebellion organization" (organization A of the 1fe3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4st Battalion, 5th Marines). It replaced into seen for miles and replaced into taken down after 3 days on the orders of often used Simon B. Buckner, Jr. (son of accomplice often used Simon Buckner), who pronounced that it replaced into beside the point as "individuals from throughout are in contact in this conflict". It replaced into replaced with the flag of america.[1fe3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc41fe3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4] by utilising the top of international conflict II, using the accomplice flag in the protection stress replaced into uncommon.[ it is not basically approximately racism...

Not me,but almost the bulk of this world does.States' Rights was the noble fight of the South.Slavery was on its' way out over the entire world without wars being fought at that time.

• Tony M

I think that there are many people who think that, but I do not. I think that it represents honoring the brave men and women who fought for the Confederacy, as they too were Americans.

RIP Americans Who Died in Battle

• wwhrd

Heritage, not hate. That flag is NOT a symbol of racism.

Does in no way represent racism. It's our culture and heritage.