Where did the watermelon stereotype come from?

I'm Afro-Caribbean living in England so I am not African-American. It was only through the internet that I found out about this watermelon stereotype used for Black people. Apparently we all love watermelon. Did this stereotype come from America because I've never heard of it until about a year ago. To me... show more I'm Afro-Caribbean living in England so I am not African-American. It was only through the internet that I found out about this watermelon stereotype used for Black people. Apparently we all love watermelon. Did this stereotype come from America because I've never heard of it until about a year ago.
To me it's like saying "Chineese people love apples" I just don't get it. Everyone eats apples. What's so special about apples? How can this be a stereotype?
Some stereotypes I can understand a little bit but not this one. How did it come to be?