3 year old niece?

My brother, his wife, and his 3 year old niece (whom I have never met before) are coming for Christmas. I have no idea what to get her, or what to do with her (I'm the youngest in my family and have never been around kids this young).

So, to rephrase the question: what do 3 year olds usually like in terms of books, toys, and activities?

Favorite Answer

3 year old little girls are wonderful. They are expressive in learning to talk, they like games with a lot of direct contact and affection, they like to sing and dance (good exersize as well, especially during the wintertime when it is cold outside), they enjoy coloring, and they even enjoy helping out around the house if they can (both my nieces had toy brooms and dustpans and they loved helping sweep up at that age).

Really, they enjoy spending time with people at that age so you don't have to go out of your way or spend a lot of money on extra toys. Simple puzzles are good, stuffed animals, blocks, sit and spins, coloring books, fingerpaints, etc.

Best of luck!

Maybe you should check on their doctors, why would they think that this is what doctors do??? Then again, has the older niece ever watched her, alone? Have you asked the 3 year old if the boyfriend ever came over, while no one was home? Maybe she saw the older girl doing something she had no business. How much do you know about this little boy that your niece is playing with? Maybe the little learned it from his house.

my three year old loves to color, in coloring books and on blank paper, she loves to do puzzles, play with stuffed animals, she has a doll she named emma that came with two outfits and will dress her dolly for bed and play time, she has a big bouncy ball she loves, she loves to have stories read to her, usually winne the pooh and dora, but she'll also take the books and make up her own stories to go with the pictures. find out from your brother what her favorite cartoon is and get her some inexpensive toys along those lines. three year olds are awesome. enjoy!

My daughter is 3, she likes coloring and drawing, she likes the crayola color wonder markers and books, baby dolls and putting them to sleep and changing them (we have extra baby diapers I let her play with), she likes to play with pretend food, she likes to do age appropriate puzzles, and she likes to watch videos, like Elmo, Dora, Barney, etc. Lately she has been into singing songs together, and playing pretend. She does love to read also, pretty much any book will do, but none that are too long. Hope this helps!

PS - the dress up idea is good also - my daughter loves her play ballerina dress.

• Lilia

Dora and Backyadigans books and toys

Princesses stuff

Playdough

Kitchen toys

Baby dolls, any books maybe Dora the Explorer. Give them an empty box and watch them play all day :) No really!

Little girls love to be helpers and to be involved. You could get her a gingerbread house kit and tell her that you will make it with her. That will also be a good activity to keep her busy during the day.

My three year old nephew has an ungodly obsession with spider man. So i got him a spider man toothbrush, toothpaste, bubble bath, cup etc. Find out what her favorite movie is like finding nemo, or veggie tales, and go from there.

well ever since my cousin was 2 she has been in love with baby dolls. She thnks she is a mom. She is 4 now and she is still in love with babies. So I would buy her a baby doll set.

coloring books and crayons. They love dolls and pretend dress up.