painting truck rims?

im looking to paint my polished alum truck rims black. the rims got ruined with a cleaner. i thought i would sand-blast first and then paint. need to know what kind of primer and paint to buy and where to buy. im also looking for a spray can application if possible. thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can paint the wheels with an epoxy spray paint (same type you would use to paint appliances).

It comes in white, almond and black and can be found in the spray paint dept. at pretty much any hardwares store or Home Depot. I think a regular enamel primer would be fine but look on the epoxy paint can to see the recommended primer.

If there is a plastic coating over the aluminum, then you'll want to remove that first. As for the sand blasting, you'll want to be careful due to the soft nature of aluminum.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Painting Truck Rims

• 1 decade ago

Are you sure you want to paint them? Polished alum. can be repaired. Parts stores sell a polishing ball made by mothers. This combined with meguires mag and alum. polish will bring the shine back. As for painting, you will need an acid based etch primer. Make sure the rims are wax free with a wax and grease remover. Then you will need to scuff them with a red scotch brite pad. Acid etch them, one coat should do it. Then you will need an epoxy based primer. You will need to be very carefull of the paint you choose. If you buy a laqure based paint it will lift and ruin the whole deal. What you need is either acrylic enamal or a urethane based paint. Direct gloss does not need to be clear coated. You will want to ask alot of questions when you buy this stuff. The etch and primer will be very dangerous for you, and the enviroment. You should be able to get this stuff at a Napa or O'rieles or something. Personally I would recomend NOT painting them. Hope this helps..

Source(s): Over twelve years painting and detailing. I-Car certified
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

painting truck rims?

im looking to paint my polished alum truck rims black. the rims got ruined with a cleaner. i thought i would sand-blast first and then paint. need to know what kind of primer and paint to buy and where to buy. im also looking for a spray can application if possible. thanks

Source(s): painting truck rims: https://biturl.im/2oBVW
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I am not a pro painter but i can tell you that there are mobil co. that can fix damaged rims, the dealers use them all the time look online, as to your question about spray can paint i do not recommend it check with a body shop would charge painting cars and car parts is not as easy as one might think.

• 1 decade ago

if you want your rims black have them powder coated . it last longer and is more durable.

• 4 years ago

Sandblast them first.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.