Tiffany asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Whats the deal with pit bull press?

It is starting to annoy me that the only stories you hear about in the media are of "pit bulls" attacking people. How come you never hear these headlines:

Pit Bull Saves Child From House Fire

Pit Bull Saves boy From Kidnapping

Pit Bull Saves 2 Women From Deadly Cobra, Dies Wagging His Tail

and you never hear about their work as servie dogs, narcotic dogs, search and rescue dogs, and bomb detecting dogs.

Another thing that bugs me is they attribute attacks by mixed breeds to pit bulls. Why do they do this? I work with so many wonderful pit and pit mixes it seems like such a shame they get a bad rap.

People dont seem to use numbers when they think about it either. They have a higher temperament test passing percentage than Golden Retrievers, Beagles and German Shepherds (just some of the many breeds they do better than).

Why do people want to hurt these dogs so much? All the ones I know just want to cuddle and be loved. They are such big babies.

I am not allowed to have dogs right now. I am speaking with my experience as an animal shelter volunteer where 75% of the dogs we get are pits or pit mixes.

Their jaws do not lock. Anyone who says so is very misinformed. They have a strong bite but their jaws do not lock!

Best Answer

I totally agree, my mom is always like arent those pit bulls just so mean? and I always so you know not all pit bulls are dangerous, that is one of the breeds that is not yet been figured out. (control them) Also a lot of ppl think that goldens, greman shepps, etc. are better than them just because they think their dogs are cuter than pit bulls. Now I dont have a Pit Bull, But I always give every animal a chance before I jusdge it. And let me bring up this point also, did you ever hear of ONE Pit bull owner talk crap about their dog, it seems to me that the ppl who dont own the Pitts are saying the crap, it is a big shame that ppl judge them by stories, looks, and breed! :( :( Feel Better!

QUOTE "think it is the way in which the dog has been raised. If it has never learned its place in the 'pack' then it will be inclined to act out" Actually the opposite is true, most of the time the violent Pits are well trained and know exactly their place in the pack. Just remember that there is a valid reason that those that would train a dog this way would choose a Pitbull. Pits can be a fabulous pet, but they can also be trained to be one of the most violent dogs on the planet. Where the rub comes in to play is when you are approached by a Pit that you have never seen before, HOW WAS THE DAMN THING TRAINED?? The moment you display that fear from not knowing, the dog knows it.

• DP

Well if the pit bull is saving the child from a house fire, the boy from a kidnapping and 2 women from cobra, then you should make sure that those stories are being heard. As a lover of the pit bull, it's up to you to make sure that people hear and know the truth about your breed.

Pit Bulls have a reputation of being aggressive. People who are in gangs and do dog fighting get these dogs because of how mean and aggressive they can be. They are trained to fight other dogs and they attack people. People want to hurt these dogs because they have sick and twisted minds. You said the Pit Bulls you know are such babies and they want to cuddle and be loved. It's all in how you raise the dog. It's the same with any animal. If you raise it in a loving and nurturing environment, the animal will grow up to be healthy, happy, and very friendly. If you raise the dog in a poor environment where it is hit for misbehaving, chances are that it will bite and become aggressive toward other animals and humans.

Source(s): A classmate of mine in high school did a presentation about the American media and how its stories cause us to fear things.
  • Joie

I completely agree. Just because there are some ignorant people out there who train their pit bulls to fight, it gives all of them a bad reputation. That's why some people have started the campaign "Punish the deed, not the breed". It's kinda the same with all "guard dogs". I have a German Shepherd for instance, and I was looking for apartments, and I found a good one that said dogs accepted except for Rottweilers, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, and German Shepherds. This isn't fair, there are dogs who are bigger and hairier then Shepherds such as Mastiffs for example, and they weren't on the list! My dog is a sweetie and she cuddles with me just like you were saying. I've never been around a pit bull personally but I'm sure they are the same way. These dogs need more recognition as being more then just fighters!

• Because the media feeds the "Pit Bull" hype.

Besides, "Pit Bull Wags Tail At Neighbor" and "Pit Bull Doesn't Bite Anyone" are bad headlines to sell papers, even though that's the way 99% of Pits live their lives.

If you see a story about a dog attack, and the dog is a Pit or a Pit mix, the breed will be in the headline or the first two sentences.

If the dog is NOT a Pit or a Pit mix, usually you have to read in three or four paragraphs to find the breed... if it's listed at all.

For example, the articles listed here:

http://www.doganswers.com/dog-attacks.htm

When it's a Pit, it's in the headline. When it's not, it's just a passing mention.

http://www.stopbsl.com/newsarticles.htm

Three-year-old Texas girl mauled to death by family's pit bull - CNN.com, 09/20/00 (Pit Bull in headline)

Vicious animals targeted:Woman's death sparks measure urging protection against some breeds of dogs - Houston Chronicle, 11/20/04 (Pit Bulls mentioned in second sentence)

Dog Bite Followup - KTRE-TV News, 08/01/04 (Pit Bull mentioned in first sentence)

Officials say pack of wild dogs mauled girl - News 8 Austin, 12/20/04 (Pit Bull mixes mentioned in third sentence)

Compare those to this series:

Articles about a dog attack in Marion County, Indiana - Chronicle-Tribune Newspaper, 05/03/05 - 05/06/05

You have to read to the fourth paragraph before you find "Two dogs, one believed to be a large brown-and-black rottweiler and the other a white dog, entered Beck's home through a slightly open door Sunday night and mauled her while she sat in her living room attached to an oxygen machine."

The next article in the series, you have to get to the eleventh paragraph before they say what the dogs in question REALLY are. (And if they had been accused of being Pit Bulls, I will almost guarantee you that "Two stray dogs" in the second sentence would have read "Two Pit Bulls")

I used to breed and now just raise pits. None of the dogs that were in one of my litters was given to a person who i felt would raise them badly. This breed is one of the most intelligent kind hearted around. Statistically speaking Dalmations bite more people each year than any other breed. But you dont hear that in any of the news stories. The legislation against pits should be against the bad people raising them instead. They should have them put to sleep for destroying good soul's of a great dog's.

Pit bulls are actually really big in the news right now for being abused and killed. Quite a few people have been given jail sentences because of fighting them. You're right though, I have had many encounters with Pits and they've never been anything but pleasant. My dog is Pit/Dalmatian and she's the sweetest little thing in the world.

• TRUE PITT BULLS CAN BE GREAT FAMILY DOGS BUT THIS IS THE THING A RECENT STUDY FOUND THAT 64% OF ALL DOG ATTACKS WERE PITTBULLS 20% WERE ROTTWEILERS 15% WERE SHEPHERDS AND THE OTHER 5% WERE MIXED BREEDS

THE TRUTH IS PITT BULLS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE DANGEROUS THATS WHY WHEN PEOPLE BUY ONE THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE SUCH A POWERFUL BREED.AND IF THIS BREED IS NOT TREATED THIS WAY THE CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS.THATS WHY THEY HAVE SUCH BAD REPUTATIONS.

Source(s): DOG BEHAVIORLIST FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS

my neighbor has a pit bull and i never wanted to believe all the attack stories. it seemed so nice and it was always by this 2 year old boy. however one day my dog (a golden retriever) went over to the edge of their property. the dogs just stood next to each other totally fine. then the pit bull just snapped. it was the worst and scariest thing i ever saw. it bit my dogs throat and dragged it across the yard, down stairs and into the lake to drown it. my dad and brother pulled it off my dog using a broom a screwdriver and a prybar. my dog is about twice the size of the pit bull. the pit bull didn't get hurt but my dog had to get surgery on its throat and a get a hole cut in her back. it cost hundreds of dollars to get this tube put in her throat to drain out fluid. after the tube was out we had to pour stuff trough all the holes in her neck until it healed. it took 5 months for her to heal. i love dogs but i'm not a fan of pit bulls anymore.