I just made my coworker cry because of something I said at a meeting. What can I do?

My company is merging 2 departments and we just had a meeting with the new VP that will oversee all of us. When a question was posed to the group on how we could do our jobs more efficiently, I raised my hand and said that "recently we receive work orders that don't contain enough information and we end up going through several rounds of extensive revises. This coworker, Jane receives and distributes the work from other depts to me and 1 other guy. The new VP asked what I thought we should do, I said "have a check person before we receive the job." Someone else at the meeting said, "That's Jane's job."

After the meeting I asked Jane if she thought the VP understood what I was saying and she started crying. I apologized and said "that's not what I meant at all! I'm sorry if that's how it got interpreted. You know I would never blame you." Then she went off to lunch with 2 other women and didn't invite me. We usually lunch together. Was I at fault?

Favorite Answer

Jane does sound a bit sensitive but that's usually how women are. I think it's because we care and put our heart into our work more so than men. You are not wrong because you brought up an important issue. It sounds like Jane (once she's calmed down) should get with you or a group and figure out what she needs to be looking for. Maybe she needs a cheat sheet that she can check to make sure that the forms have the necessary documentation and if it doesn't then what needs to happen. She probably felt like it was her fault and that she let everyone down. So you can smooth things over by letting her know that it's not her fault and that you realize that she is trying to do a good job and you want to help.

The misunderstanding depends on the quotation marks around your statement. It was not a suggestion. It was not a question. It was, as worded, a public complaint.

The exoneration you are seeking rests in what you said after the announcement: " That's Jane's job.". Unless you said: "No, it isn't. Her job is continuity. It is not quality control."; then, you are the only one who can be blamed for her being forced into the glare of a very bright spotlight. It may not be what you intended, but it does open Jane's performance up to widespread, doubt and scrutiny.

I must assume your meeting was not prefaced with an agenda. This incident would not have happened if you had an opportunity to properly formulate your remarks. Also, you could have collaborated with Jane in order to present a more objectiveive observation.

There is not much you can do until you receive the email summary of this meeting; then, you can reply with a solution and "cc:" the neighborhood. Hopefully, your friend will see your true motivation and understand. Good Luck.-

well if jane is collecting the work then she should check it, but likeu said she is getting it from other people. Those other people are also responsible for there work. A good move would be to have multiple people checking the work no only for correctness against the system numbers but also to make sure the numbers "make sense" b/c sometime there wrong in the system. Now if she handed in a report and it was wrong, well i would say we all have one or two error through out the year. if every thing she does is inncorrect then u have a problem.

So if you brought this up for one or two wrong reports then maybe that was a bit harsh. If she always makeing little stupid mistake then you are correct. remmeber this is a Job and friendly meeting area, speak whats best for the company.

properly, numerous issues come to my concepts off the bat...there is no reason a married guy could desire to be texting hundreds (actually) text fabric messages to a married lady. it somewhat is erroneous. era. some thing possibly went on between then or grew to become into damn close to approximately to. do no longer play the fool there even nevertheless her husband curiously is one. Secondly, it wasn't maximum appropriate so which you will touch his boss and make an @ss out of him in front of his boss. You 2 choose some marriage counseling by using fact have faith is an exceedingly fragile ingredient. as quickly because it somewhat is broken, you're looking an prolonged time recuperating from that. Get some counseling and communicate it via with a expert.

No it was not your fault ...You were asked a direct question and you gave a straight answer... You did nothing wrong ... And you need to tell Jane to grow up you said nothing wrong.... And besides its about the finance not the romance... Your work is more important then friendships at the work place

No, it sounds like she is being very sensitive but you have to try to keep peace in work situations. I would just say something like 'I'm sorry if I said something that offended you and I hope you can get past it as we have to work together'. Then if she is rude or whatever, it is definitely her fault.

She sounds overly sensitive...not your fault. I think you said what you had to, that you had no intention of making it sound like she wasn't doing her job and that you were merely adding to the obvious problem solving session you were having.

Beyond that, you have no control what she does or how she reacts