What dating challenges may a single, middle-aged gay person possibly face?

Favorite Answer

Without defining "middle-aged," I believe the challenges primarily revolve around mutual interests, backgrounds, and life experiences.

My last serious bf was just 3 months older than I and we shared many common interests and a few life experiences. However, his formulative years were far different than mine so there were differences that neither could truly understand.

The guy I'm seeing now is 19 years younger than me. Yeah, as a middle-aged man I fear it makes me look like a perv but although he and I don't share many common interests or life experiences, there's an attraction as well as mutual fondness for each other. And sometimes that is enough.

I'd be interested in knowing what it would be like to date an older man, now that I'm middle-aged. I wonder if our life experiences would be similar or if there would be a disparity as there is with my current dating partner.

Excellent question, btw. Not sure really how to answer it, which is obvious from this rambling nonsense.

Many middle-aged persons face the challenge of dating itself. The process of meeting someone, going out, sharing and getting to know each other is very difficult. It becomes more of a challenge in middle-age because that person may have a lot of things going on in their lives. That person may belong to several community or church groups, may have kids, may have a challenging job. They may not have as much time for dating as someone younger.

I also think that as a person gets older, their views about dating tend to change. People may be jaded and feel like everyone they meet has some kind of game and that older person may be quicker to judge because of the experiences they have faced with dating in the past.

• phree

Getting a younger man who's just looking for a "sugar daddy."

• Paulo

Choices, baggage, and finding the time!

In today's unfortunate society Probably NONE!