Can "English" and "American" be thought of as two different languages?

I know Sir Winston Churchill (or was it Oscar Wilde? Or both?) described Britain and the USA as being "divided by a common language"....but could they ever be thought of as two different languages? A friend of mine told me at Thanksgiving that most of his work colleagues spoke 2 languages, and his 2... show more I know Sir Winston Churchill (or was it Oscar Wilde? Or both?) described Britain and the USA as being "divided by a common language"....but could they ever be thought of as two different languages? A friend of mine told me at Thanksgiving that most of his work colleagues spoke 2 languages, and his 2 languages were English and American....and I just wondered what people thought about this!
Update: I suppose I should have my own ideas about this, as my father is British and my mother is American! lol