David B asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What can I do to stop my dog from scavenging?

On walks around town he eats trash (and he's fast!) people have thrown on the sidewalks, then gets sick. I don't want to muzzle him, but I don't know if there are any other options.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • JR
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't let his snout on the ground. DUH!!

• 4 years ago

Its spoke of as '%.', and skill he's eating stuff that won't nutrition. you desire greater help with this canine than you will discover right here, I advise you initiate at as quickly as by skill of having rid of puppy coverage in case he desires an op. it additionally should pay for the cost of seeing a behavioural coach and getting professional help with the topic. you could see your vet. Theres an injection they'd provide your canine it relatively is innocuous, yet will make him vomit 20 minutes after its given. The vet injects your canine, you retain a specific eye on your watch. almost 20 minutes later you enable him 'scouse borrow' something yopu planted for him to devour, he's sick and blames the topic he merely ate. Repeat till he gets the message! meanwhile get him a mild-weight snug muzzle to placed on indoors, disguise each and every little thing he ought to attempt to devour, and furnish him with various chews that are secure. upload a number of those super canine biscuits and bones you get in some locations. something to maintain his activity.

• 1 decade ago

First of all, feed him before you go. Second, be sure to just pull on the leash and whistle at him or call his name when he seems to get attracted to the trash.

Source(s): Vet School
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What ever you do, don't hurt him or hit him. Dogs learn fast so just call any pet center, they can hook you up with advice or a trainer. Your dog loves you and relies on you to love him back.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • no qf
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

try to teach him the leave it and drop it commands. it takes time and of course you will need to work up to using it on walks but it may save his life someday. in the meantime try to anticipate when he might go for something inappropriate and head him off (this will require you to pay more attention to him, keep him closer to you, and keep your eye out for trash at the same time).

• 1 decade ago

Hi Friend,

Your dogs behaviour isn't strange.It might be hereditary or habitual.What ever the case, see your veterinary doctor.Mean while,try a different diet on him.

• 1 decade ago

Feed him!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.