Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

"Evolve or Die." This quote is by Dr. Timothy Leary about religion, do you agree?

or disagree? and why?

How can your religion "evolve" (change) to function better in our quickly modernizing society?

Favorite Answer

Human culture, society, technology, medicine, and knowledge have changed radically in the past 2000 years. What was relevant then isn't necessarily relevant today. Religion must adapt to the current Aeon. For example, the ancient Hebrews did not have refrigeration, sanitation, condoms, or even running water. The laws they lived by were mostly rules for health and hygene -- don't get tattoos, don't eat shellfish, don't eat pork, bathe after you screw, don't screw when she's on her period, don't have homosexual relations, etc. -- these things were dangerous to the health of a nomadic desert people, but today our technology and our medicine have greatly reduced these dangers. The old rules are no longer relevant. But Moses could never have envisioned cell phones, the internet, airplanes, ipods, cable TV, microwave ovens, birth control pills, cars, atomic bombs, or mint-flavored condoms. We have wonderful new ways of living, eating, traveling, entertaining ourselves, and killing each other, that didn't exist 4000, 100, or even 50 years ago. New times call for a new paradigm. The old one just doesn't fit anymore.

That depends on whether the religions are true. I'm a Christian myself, and so obviously I believe that what the Bible teaches accurately describes reality. That's the world at a higher level than society or culture, and it's not dependent on society or culture. If what the Bible says is true then God doesn't change, and so the fundamentals about the way the world is don't change, so Christianity has no need to evolve, at a basic level. The way we do things might change subtly as a result of changes in society, but it doesn't effect fundamentals. If Christianity isn't true it's irrelevant, because it's effectively dead already.

Sorry: It's not about "religion" per se. The scriptures say God is unchangeable. Therefore his standards stand. A desire to "'evolve' to function better in our quickly modernizing society" is the main reason why religion is so divided to begin with.

Religions are part of culture.

Some people seem to think that religion should never change. (Because if it's the "truth" then change only means that people are moving away from it.) But I say that if the religion doesn't change, it becomes obsolete because it can no longer give guidance to the lives of the people who are moving on. Status quo doesn't really happen. And trying to keep things from changing just makes a religion go obsolete faster.

If what Timothy Leary developed into is evolution, I want none of it!

He was called "the most dangerous man in America." Timothy Leary was a professor at Harvard University when he began experimenting with psilocybin, acid, and other hallucinogens.

At the time, television and newspapers were filled with sensationalist tales of young people having horrible, deadly drug experiences and torturous addictions, influenced by him.

To me, his classic quote is, "Drop out, turn on, then come back and tune it in... and then drop out again, and turn on, and tune it back in... it's a rhythm".

It's a rhythm of man's infidelity! GOD is faithful. God gave him a marvelous mind, but Leary worshipped his own intellect instead of his all-knowing and wise Creator!

Leary was intelligent, witty, and an unabashed hedonist, who later in life became an Internet enthusiast, tortured by the drugs he promoted until they drove him to suicide.

But I will agree with him to this slight extent. Not using the controversial word evolution, I will say WE NEED 'ADAPTABLITY'. As a college professor, Leary knew THAT is what education needs to teach our next generation.

Evolution, if it is true, leads to extinction. Adaptability is the stuff of long life!!!

Jesus taught change (John 3: 3) "You MUST be BORN again"!

Mathematician? I seem to recall that he was a psychologist who researched psychedelic therapy and his cognitive style was more eristic than rigorous. His exo-psychology book had a mathematical model in it, I suppose, but the laws that the operations on elements followed were never enunciated. So I believe his statements less than those of some others, one of whom actually convinced me that there is a Creative Force in the universe.

• Graham

What are the end results of Leary's "evolved" life?

yes Tim Leary, can't argue with his logic... magic bus rides, orgies, setting fires to university libraries... man was certainly a peach. You could always emulate other figures like... Ted Kazinsky, he was just an environmentalist.

He did a lot of drugs, didn't he?

But what the heck, all the creationists are high on their religion everyday anyway.

Tim was right. The dinosaurs didn't and they died.

Christianity has already changed (I do not think 1st century AD Christians would even recognise it as such) and Islam, hmmm. They don't seem to be so adept at changing. Which means...