Have I hurt my baby??

At my babies 3 month appointment I asked doc about mixing cereal in with her fomula. He said we no longer use cereal but rice. So I started giving her the rice. Then I was at ToysRus and got really excited when I seen an organic rice for her. I have been giving that to her for about a month. Except this morning, I was reading the front of the package and it says whole grain oatmeal CEREAL. It also says it is for babies that are ready to move beyond rice. I'm freaking out. She was only on the rice for a few days before I switched her to this stuff. She appears ok, but I'm worried I've done some damage. I will talk to the doctor but also want to hear what you guys have to say

Favorite Answer

Babies should only receive breastmilk or formula for the first SIX months, as per the AAP, which SHOULD be a ped's Bible.....

Putting aside the fact that it's not recommended to feed baby solids until 6 months the only reason the docs say to start with rice is because it is the least likely to cause allergies. There is actually no reason not to start with oatmeal or any other grain for that matter. They do recommend to introduce each different food by itself for a few days so that if there is an allergic reaction you know what is causing it. I actually always start with oatmeal because the rice has no nutritional value.

You haven't done her any damage. Premature weaning doesn't damage babies.

What you have done, I'm afraid, is increased her chances of developing allergies and digestive problems. Three month olds do not need rice, and no baby except those with reflux (and on medical advice) should EVER have anything mixed in with their formula. When you start solids, you give them separately from the milk. No, our parents and grandparents didn't do it that way. They also didn't lie babies on their backs to sleep to reduce the risk of SIDS, or worry about not smoking near a baby to avoid respiratory problems, or give up alcohol during pregnancy to avoid fetal alcohol syndrome and low birthweight, or take folic acid to reduce the chances of spina bifida. Medical science has moved on, and we know better now.

It's not a certainty and never was more than a small risk, which is why so many people can say "but my mum did it and we're fine". But it does increase the risk.

How old is she now? If she's still younger than six months, I really recommend you get some professional advice on where to go from here, because I'm pretty sure that just stopping giving it isn't the answer.

A 3 mos old baby shouldn't be having anything but breastmilk or formula.....no rice, no oatmeal, no cereals or solids of any kind.

They don't have the tummy enzymes needed to properly digest anything other than breastmilk or formula until around 6 mos of age. Starting solids earlier than this increases the risk that your child will suffer from allergies, develop diabetes or have problems with obesity later in life.

:-(

Source(s): p1nk_p1x1e - No, as a whole, our society is not "fine." The rates of obesity are UNBELIEVABLE in the USA now. You don't think early nutrition and the eating habits that we teach our kids starting at birth contribute to that? What about the rates of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc?

Doctors usually suggest NOT mixing rice cereal w/ fomula, but it sounds like she's fine.

• lexus

There's nothing wrong with that! Don't worry yourself. My daughter is 2 1/2 months and I give her oatmeal cereal. I chose oatmeal because I read somewhere that rice cereal is very boring and tasteless for babies, and I don't want to start off her first experience with food with something that won't encourage her to continue eating.

For all the mothers who think babies shouldnt have solids til they are 6 months,all of us got fed solids way before then and we are fine aren't we...rice cereal aty 3 months is perfectly fine and as for a little oatmeal Im sure it hasnt hurt her but try switching back to the rice for now..Dont worry

• Pitusi

Apart from the fact that babies shouldn't have solids until the 6th month, it doesn't matter if it's oatmeal, rice or avocados.

She should be ok, but babies generally don't need solids till 6 months, so back off with them for a few more months. Give her digestive system a rest.

Cereal includes all grains, including rice! Think about it, when you head for the cereal aisle in the supermarket, what grains do you see listed on the boxes? <think Rice Chex>

My son ate cereal before 3 months of age, and he healthy and has a 3.5 grade average. No worries, hon!