KRISTINE B asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a year old female beagle who is eating her own feces. Just started doing this suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Make sure you pick up her feces after she goes. She may be trying to clean up the area. Another thing is that beagles have a very good sense of smell and her feces may smell like food. This happens when the dog eats very quickly and it is not digested completely. Try feeding her very slowly. You can also add pineapple to her food and it is supposed to have a bad taste as feces. I had the same problem with my lab. He only does it when he stays at our friends' house. They never pick up feces from their backyard and it is literally everywhere. He goes around cleaning up--something his mother would do for the litter when he was young. The vet said he was healthy and not deficient in vitamins or nutrients. If you don't want to feed pineapple, I believe they make stuff to put in the food that will make the poo taste bad.

Eating poop doesn't have anything to do with being from a back yard breeder. ALL dogs are capable of eating disgusting things.. road kill to mention one, feces of cats, rabbits etc.. Its the nature of the beast but luckily most dogs do not take up the disgusting habit. It also has nothing to do with 'Lack of something in the diet'.. If the nutrition wasn't there on the way in, it sure as helll isn't there on the way out!!

I would suggest probiotics. Solid Gold sells a good one. Check with your local pet store. If you can't do that, the vet sells a product called 'Forbid'. The only problem with that is that I have heard many people say that it gives the dog major gas. I'd try the probiotics or maybe a small spoonful of all natural plain yogurt on the food and of course... cleaning it up immediatly will solve the problem but that is not always do-able.

DOgs usually eat their feces cause (believeit or not) it tastes nice. Lets face... I have never seen a dog eat something that tastes bad. It can also be boredom. And it has nothing to do with a diet deficiency as is commonly blamed

U are gonna have to keep an eye on her for a few days and when she goes, go and spray something foul tasting on it, like aloe vera or many of the safe commercial sprays u get at pet stores. After a few attempts - she should realise that there is no joy in it and should stop.

Try and clean up the yard as much as possible to avoid temptations.

• Dogs usually only do this when they think there is something lacking in their diet, and they smell it in their poop, so when they smell it they think they should eat it to get that nutrient they don't have enough of. You can try a different food or maybe adding something to her food.

A good idea might be to call your vet, explain the situation, and see if they recommend a certain food in this case. A phone call is free and might be easier than reading a bunch of answers on here. Good luck!

I have a page on my website all about dogs eating their own feces. Check it out, it may help.

http://www.standardpoodlesusa.com/feces.html

Try a different brand of dog food or try feeding your dog pineapple juice.. apparantly it makes the feces taste or smell bad to dogs!

I'm not sure if this really works but I once overheard a small pet store owner tell someone to put just a little msg on the food and that will help. I guess your dog might crave salt.

just a thought.

good luck

MSG doesn't work but I have bought stuff that does. Is she eating a poor quality food or is left with her poop alot? Most dogs eat poop from being a BYB dog and growing up with poop nearby and no toys or poor food. Also just clean up after your dog. Try Drs. Foster and Smith or K V Vet for anti poop eating additives.

Sounds like she is lacking some nutrient. Pets (and humans) crave strange things when this is the case. Do you feed her petsore bought food? Don't feed her food from the supermarket, that's bad stuff.

Ask your vet, they sell something that is sprinkled on the poop which is undesired by the dog! Check out www.petsmart.com for details! Try hot pepper flakes you cook with! It works with squirrels!