Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is it good to check what the Bible really says from time to time?

in lieu of movies so often taking license about a biblical story?

Eg: In NBC's movie about Noah's Ark script writers had Noah and Lot escaping destruction of Sodom before the flood, when the biblical account is of Abraham and Lot after the flood.

Eg: Cecil B. DeMille's The King of Kings interprets Jesus' writing in the sand to be his prophetic insight into the sinfulness of each of the woman's accusers; writing in Aramaic that shifts into English words like cheater, adulterer, thief, murderer, etc. That scene enters minds of those who saw it and people begin to read that back into gospel text. After a few times people assumed that it is in the Bible. It isn't.

Eg: School and church plays, also TV, often portray three wise men visiting a babe at a manger in Bethlehem, when the Bible notes there were enough Babylon Jews to stir up all Jerusalem at festival time, and they visited a child(toddler) at his house in Nazareth.

Would it be better if such mistakes were not made?

Job 15:6 Thine own mouth condemneth thee, and not I.

Favorite Answer

always

I never expect the truth from Hellywood; but I wouldn't put NBC or Cecil B. DeMille's interpretations on nearly as high of a plain as a local play, who may have a devout christian as organizer.

Hellywood's goal is generally to mock and ridicule religion, while a local school or church play may have an organizer who is simply ignorant scripturally.

I think we should look at the overall intent: Isn't that what God does, look at the heart? And yes, of course it would be better if such mistakes weren't made. But that's life.

• the same thing bugs me. unfortunately as long as there is sin, lies will be born through many avenues, I have found these movies usually get people looking for answers. and thats a good thing as long as it inspires them to seek the TRUTH. we usually watch any bible themed movies that come out. but i am careful to watch with my children or others who are easily decieved, that way i can correct any things we find not to be the biblical truth. also many deep intresting family discussions have developed from watching these movies. now, we dont watch any movies that claim jesus was anything other then what he was, PERFECT, WITHOUT SIN!!!

no less "true to the book" than churches that say jesus was born on december 25, and they there were three wise guys, and that they visited on the day he was born, and that friday afternoon to sunday morning make 3 days and 3 nights...

Of course its important to read the bible....that way when you argue the falsity of it, you can quote properly!!!! Know what you're debunking before you open your mouth.

a screenwriter always amends the book that their movie is based on, just because some people "think" the bible is special, doesnt make it so.

once you've read the bible, it's a simple matter to draw your own conclusions, nothing in it has changed for the past millenium......

yes, because the words do seem to change meaning over time

• T.F.P

THE BIBLE MEANS LIFE

• Blue

The bible is full of mistakes and contradictions - I would find it very hypocritical.

Yep... what it really says is often way funnier than what people think it says.