I want to run a line for internet from my cable modem to my computer which is about 100 feet away. How?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Option one: go wireless.

Option two: get a really long ethernet cord (Cat 5 cable).

http://www.bizrate.com/computercables_adapters/pro...

• 1 decade ago

Most Cat 5 cable is good for runs up to 300 feet.

But the longest length I've seen commercially available is 50' at Best Buy.

Check local computer stores or internet providers and see if you can purchase a special made 100 foot length from them.

Sarge

• 5 years ago

If the jack in the sanctuary is on the same line as the church office with DSL, then you can sort of do what you are trying to do. Other wise the two jacks will have to be wired together. You can only have one DSL modem connected to the phone line at a time. So if only one computer will be in use at a time, then you are OK. You just have to remember to unhook each modem from the phone line when not in use. If you want to use them at the same time, you are out of luck. You are going to have to run 150 feet of cat 5. Or, as someone else suggested, Ethernet over powerline.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

invest in a wireless, which is a much better option, it offers u a more effective connection.

or you could invest in a longer cable, try your local electronics/computer store. the disadvantage in using a longer cable is the fact that because it is so far away, the connection may be slightly slower. "the longer the cable, the slower it is"

Source(s): used to own cable modem, but after long problems with cables and such, i invested into a wireless
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try a wireless broadband rounter and you need an network adapter such as a usb wireless drive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

just get wireless.. a long ethernet cable is going to run you about $30 anyways...

• 1 decade ago

either wireless or use cat 5 cable

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.