Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Hard time quiting smoking.....?

....I decided realistically that I wanted to quit before the end of my first trimester. I'm 6 weeks, 4 days. I'm finding it incredibly hard though because I've never felt so stressed in my life. This is an unplanned pregnancy and I don't really have any support system. Anyone else feel the same way? What helped you quit? I've read all the tips about figuring out oyur triggers and stuff but that doesn't seem to help, it actually makes me want one more. Any advice would be helpful.

• NV
    Favorite Answer

me too trying to quit smoking..but till now i didn't......

i think we both need more will power..what you say

for me your question is interesting ..........

Because if I quit smoking, I would be a tremendous *****. I smoke for the sake of my sanity and for the sake of the others who have to deal with me. It's hard because after you do it so long, you NEED it and get very cranks and get headaches without it. It's also habitual as well. Sorry they won't quit though, I wish I could because I know my daughter would appreciate it in the future, but it is very hard, if it were as easy as what you just said I'd be done by now.

I smoked one + pack a day usually at least 2, it took me 2 weeks to quit smoking after I found Out i was pregnant, we weren't expecting the stick to read positive either, but it did, And I decided along time ago, that if I were to get pregnant I would quit smoking for my child, as soon as the stick read positive, I was thrilled, excited, speechless, and already in love with my little baby. I didn't use ne tricks to help me quit, I started weaning myself off because it's better for the baby that way, less of a shock. then when I was down to like 2 or 3 a day, I stopped completely, now I'm not going to lie, later on in my 4 or 5 month, I did have three cigerettes, because of stress, but it ended up taking me to the ER the next day, it didn't do to good with my baby, I was having extreme pain and contractions, I wanted to cry because I felt like a bad mother to risk my baby's health as I did. so I would just keep thinking about your child and nothing else, if you really love that child in you, and you want the BEST for him/her then you'll quit. I didn't have a support system either, I mean I have my husband, and the rest of my family live over 1500 miles away. And my husband continued to smoke finally we ended up moving to a bigger place and I told him NO SMOKING in the house or in the CAR. why. well If I quit smoking for my baby while she was in me, then I sure in the hell am not going to let her be in a smoking enviornment, otherwise quiting in the first place was pointless. Good luck and I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT.

Source(s): 29 weeks 4 days Pregnant with a LITTLE GIRL!!!!!! ( 1st baby)

I smoked for about 8 years before my last pregnancy.. I just made up my mind that it wasn't my choice anymore, that the little person inside me was in charge, and what he/she wanted was for me to quit and be as healthy as possible. I didn't have any cravings, and I didn't get any more moody than usual. My pregnancy was unplanned also, and every time I got stressed, I'd find some other way to cope, whether that meant taking a walk, eating sweets, or playing violent video games.

Good luck to you, my sister also was a smoker and had a baby this past summer. She wasn't able to quit at all and regrets it now that her baby has delayed lung and heart development.

Source(s): Mommy of 2 girls, 11 years & 6 weeks Former smoker

I know how you feel, I am also a smoker and it was very hard for me to quit with all 3 of my pregnancies. I actually never quit completely but tried to only smoke once or twice a day and they were ultra lights. I know this isn't any better than smoking the full flavor but I did the best I could. Try cutting back and then see if eventually you can quit. Good luck to you and Congratulations on your new baby!

When I found out I was pregnant, I asked my doctor what to do. He said he would rather see me cut back gradually as opposed to quitting cold turkey (due to stress) and that NRT's like the patch were out of the question since the nicotine goes directly into your blood stream, which you now share with the baby.

I managed to cut back quite a bit but never did quit. My daughter was born perfectly healthy (I feel so lucky!) at 7 lbs 10 oz, and 21 inches long. I was one week overdue. After she was born I just didn't want to smoke anymore, but that only lasted one week. Realistically, you have to want to quit. I want to, I'm just not ready to, that's why I'm weak still. If you make up your mind that you are ready to, it will happen before you know it.

Quitting smoking is extremely hard...especially if you have been smoking along time! However there are sooo many things that you can do to help yourself

* Buy patches.... they wont hurt the baby dont worry

* When you think you need a smoke: Chew gum, Take a few deep breathes, go for a walk ect

* you also need to find ways to de-stress if it is stessing you out. Doing yoga or pilates is good for your strength in your body and is extrememly relaxing. Swimming is excellent as well as it will help increase your lung capacity. You should ring your friends and family when you need to relax or just get your feelings off your chest. You really need to quit smoking though, not just for the baby, but also for yourself. You want to be able to live a long enough to see your baby grow up dont you? use that as your adrenalin as to why you want to quit. What also helps you quit smoking is wanting to quit. If you dont, you really are going to have a hard time.

I'm not a smoker...but i think it has to be a mind game... truth be told I know you want what's best for your baby so that should be your strive! It's not good for the baby so keep it in mind...and maybe that'll help. There are patches and stuff but that's something you'd probably need to go over with your gyno to make sure that wouldn't harm you baby either. My mom used these thing that actually looked like a cig. and she could hold it like one and it helped her quite! try some things or just try to stay busy....everything gets earlier with time. other than that congratulations momma....and good luck.

Just try your best to relax, take deep breaths long baths to relieve the stress. Its really unhealthy to smoke during your pregnancy. Just sit down and figure out what is stressing you out to the best of your abilities reduce whatever it is that is stressing you out. I will be hard to quit its not easy but you have to think about that little one in your belly, and think really hard about if you want to risk that little one having health issues when its born, because you will be twice as stressed as you are now

I know what your going through and unless your a smoker just need to change everything that you normally do when you use to smoke,, like for example.. after eating, instead of picking your fag packet up, Do the dishes of something else thats going to distract you.. remember, cravings only last a few seconds so keep yourself busy or go for walks when you need to.. You can do it, its hard i know but try.. Or take up knitting so knit a pretty little cardigan for your child,, That'll stop you thinking about fags.. GOOD LUCK

I'm 20 weeks and still smoking. I know lots of women who have smoked whilst pregnant and gone on to have healthy babies.

Source(s): 20w 4d pregnant with baby #1 (it's a girl)