Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

Is it really fair?

I have a year working for this other law firm and since I started working there we used to make private calls at work and our boss never said anything about it, even when I started working for this company I was never ever given any rules regarding the telephone. The telephone bill is normal as it used to be for this month but she is now claiming that we have overused the telephone which is not true. She checked all the numbers and suggested that everyone should mark the number she has called. She calculated the money and now its end of the year and she wants to take the money from our bonuses which obviously it seems like she didn't want to give us bonuses, why now? all these months she never worried about the bill but just because its December time, time for bonuses she comes up with excuses. Anyway if she feels that we are killing her business she could have at least given us a warning so that we don't do it again unlike just to decide that she's gonna make us pay, is it fair?

calls we made were not distance calls

Favorite Answer

Perhaps it is not entirely fair, but nevertheless you did make these calls and you should be the one paying for them since they were not business related. I do think however that there should have been an understanding up front because some businesses do allow this occasionally. Now you know that you will have to pay for your phone calls, get yourself a phone calling card to make them with.

What really isn't fair to us answerers is that you don't describe the TYPE of call made. If employees were making distance calls (and even local toll for that matter) then yeah, that sounds fair to me since bonuses aren't something she HAS to do for you guys.

But if they were local calls, they wouldn't drive up the bill any extra and is definitely NOT fair if there were never any restrictions put on the usage of the phone to begin with.

My suggestion- Don't whine about it. Gather up a few coworkers who agree and tell her together (one at a time, but all in the same day of course) that unless the calls were distance or local toll, then it isn't fair to offer a bonus and then threaten to cut it. Let her know that if she feels that it is interfering with business calls or becoming too much of a distraction, that she please hold a meeting or talk with individual trouble makers and not just suddenly snap at everyone.

No, it's not fair at all. There should be a clear company policy regarding the usage of company telephones so that employees are warned not to use them for personal reasons. And there should also be a clear directive that whoever uses it for their own personal use shall be made to pay a rate. It is not right that all of a sudden, without warning, you are made to pay telephone bills or part of it to be deducted from your bonuses.

First, a bonus is an ex-gratia payment that the employer is not required to pay.

Most countries do not give bonuses.

On the other hand, making a point of giving a bonus and then deducting an amount is backhanded.

She should have just either given no bonus or a reduced one and left it at that.

And as an employer, may I say: When you're at work, DON'T DO YOUR PERSONAL ****

What is not fair about it? You were using her business for your personal use and now you have to pay. You could have asked about the phone policy in the begining but you were hoping you would get away with it. I have no problem with that. You obviously don't know a lot about business.

Fair? I don't know. Were you making long distance calls on the company phones? Is it fair that she should pay for you to make long distance personal calls during work hours? When you are talking on phone making personal calls, she is loosing your work time that she is paying for. Then on top of that you are expectiing her to pay for your long distance personal visits? Many employers don't allow long distance personal calls to be made from a company phone. In many places doing so will get you fired on the spot. I'd say just pay for the calls that you made and quit using work time to visit long distance. In the future, use your cell phone during your break to make your long distance calls.

It Might not be fair but she is the boss. Why don't all employees march into her office and voice your dis-pleasure?

simply offer to pay your bills on apayment plan so as it does not effect your bonus exspecially if you were counting on it and than use your bonus to get a cell phione