How reliable are Seagate hard drives?

I'm looking to get a 80 gb 2.5 external hard drive. I'm used to Western Digital but this Seagate is about half the price. It's really hard to pass it up.

• Favorite Answer

In my experience I think seagate is a very good brand, I've used samsung and maxtor (seagate now owns maxtor) both of which were noisier than the seagate (but only the samsungs had an over heating issue).

I have been using Seagate on and off for 5 years now. Never had a problem, so I can't really comment on the customer support. But I must've used their drives in 6 of the 10 computers I have built. Never had a problem so from my point of view, they have a 100% reliability rate!

Of course it is not impossible for a reliably-branded drive to fail. I guess I have just been lucky.

Great question. Both are very reliable. I personally use a lot of Western Digital equipment for myself and my customers. The fact is, most people will trade or upgrade their computer way before either would start having problems. Try to keep the computer clean and cool running which will help not only the hard drive but all the other parts as well. Thanks again. Larry

all of my external hard drives are seagate. the first time i bought a 200 gb external hard drive, it became defective esp when i fill it with music files. when i have it repaired at seagate; they told me that the hard drive is okay. but i still do experience that my files mysteriously disappears in that harddrive.

i like seagate more than digital western. so my next purchase was 4 units of 250 gb of lacie external hard drives, which uses seagate hard drives. they are better than my first seagate externl hard drive. even the design is better. i bought the porche design, which is pretty compact. this year, i purchased 4 units of 500 gb lacie hard drives. so far, my lacie hard drives are still okay.

Seagate is good but not better than Western Digital or Maxtor , in my pinion Maxtor get the first rank then comes Western Digital then Seagate .

I used All of them But really The Maxtor is the best of them

Seagates are perfectly reliable, more so that Maxtor, and about on par with Western Digital. Your mileage may vary of course.

Source(s): personal experience.

Yeah its Kinda Reliable

Seagate HD is good

very reliable - get one