There is a virus in my pc...it has created a folder in my d drive named 5c683695888cb1e81d5889cec9...?

I m not able to delete that folder...i have tried everything...even my antivirus cannot detect the virus (i have updated my database)...what should i do?? pls help me guys i dont want to format my hard disk....

Favorite Answer

Format, sponds like spyware

It could be that the folder is part of a Windows update. Is the folder name in blue?If it is you can leave it there.

What are the contents of the folder?

If you are determined to delete it though, try rebooting into safe mode (hit F8 when Windows is starting up and select safe mode) and delete it from there.

I want you to download the following programs to analyse this:

Avira Antivirus

AVG Antispyware

Lavasoft Ad-Aware

Mozilla Firefox

These will enable you to detect many different types of virii and other nasties that you could miss just by running basic antivirus. BEst of all, they're all free.

Can you provide full name of folder.

For general instructions to remove any virus do following steps:

1 install a good antispyware like Super Antispyware or spyware terminator

2 install a fully updated antivirus

3 download a tool name "hijack this"

4 run hijackthis and look at the log, if something fishy is there, remove that but be careful and search on net about that item before removing to find out whether it is malware or otherwise.

for removing viruses manually

1 boot pc into safe mode

2 run command "regedit"

3 Go to following keys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->MICROSOFT->WINDOWS->CURRENTVERSION->RUN

3 then look for entries that ypu find fishy and remove them but before that make a backup of registry by exporting it.

4 now delete the infected files

5 reboot.

most times it cleans your system.

This looks like a temporary folder left during a Windows update. Have you just updated your computer?

Try a reboot and it should remove itself. If not (sometimes it "forgets") you should at least be able to delete it.

• shawn

that is ur system restore folder most probably not a virus.

see setting system restore to a smaller size or disable it on that drive letter d to see it disappear or delete it

if u really want to delete it use a linux live cd like ubuntu put it in ur cd drive restart pc

then browse computer go to folder and click delete.....

it is available from ubuntu.com

It is NOT A VIRUS dont be alarmed it's used by windows and it should generally delete itself if not needed

dont delete it

Source(s): grandpa told me

I suggest getting a professional to help you sort our the situation, it will save you alot of stressing out.

It may cost you a bit, but it will be worth it. I have been in your situation.