Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Why do flies always roll on their backs when they die?

My little brother trapped 5 flies under a plastic cap. 15 min later, they were all dead on their backs. When my mum came in to clean the windows, she discovered a dead fly on its back. When I sprayed my own room, 3 flies were killed, on their backs. Why is this?

Sigh... The answers I've got 5 min in are soooo informative!!! (not)

Favorite Answer

They are looking up at fly heaven.

I was bored and couldn't sleep once so I randomly turned on the TV and there was some show about the Top 100 Best Rock Songs, and Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana was in it. I know the song is a bit overplayed, but when I first heard it, I loved it :D I started listening to a lot of Nirvana and bought a biography on Kurt Cobain, and finished it (twice, lol.) Then my dad introduced me to the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, the Clash, and a bunch of punk rock bands, since he was into punk when he was my age. My mom introduced me to Led Zeppelin, Queen, the Rolling Stones, the Doors, Pink Floyd, and other classic rock bands since she was into that kind of stuff when she was younger. I don't listen to Nirvana too much anymore, but I'll still never forget how they changed my life forever :D BQ: My favorite current band is the Animals, and I can't stop listening to We Gotta Get Out of This Place. :D BBQ: Yeah, someone once asked a question about the history of Nirvana. Since I read a biography on Kurt Cobain, I answered it and Yahoo Answers said it was too long and had to be shortened. -.- So I went back and took out a few things and it ended up being about 8 paragraphs, haha. BBBQ: The Doors, Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, The Casualties, 7 Seconds, Suicide Machine, AC/DC, The Kinks, the list doesn't really end...

Because all drama queens and wanted to go out with a bang

But seriously it's because their legs freak out twitching a lot and finally lose all control then they stop working. The fly sways and soon enough the fly tips over and very dramatically rolls onto it's back and Mr. Fly guy is no more

• Bart S

Their legs go into spasm as they lose control of their nervous system, which automatically flips them onto their 'flat' side. Not a good way to die, really.......

Because their backs are much heavier than the rest of the body parts.

Most humans, animals, mamals, reptiles do anyway.

Have you ever seen anyone laying on their stomach in a coffin?

BECAUSE WHEN THEY DIE THEIR LEGS BUCKLE AND THIS MAKES THEM TOP HEAVY AND THEY ROLL OVER AND DRY UP.

They lose the use of their legs

ask them