My Dell dumps its memory then restarts in less than a second when I log in. What is wrong? What can I do?

When I log in, It shows the BSOD saying it dumped its memory (i think, could not read it fast enough) and then it restarts in less than a second

running a driver test but i dont know how to run a memtest

i only have one ram card inside the system. It has worked for 5 years. My warranty has expired, so I cannot do anything

Favorite Answer

Probably incompatible memory. Power down and remove all ram modules except one. Make sure it is in Bank 0. Power up. If the problem continues, try a different module.

I think a ram module is either bad or incompatible. Generic ram isn't generic (don't ask me how I know!).

Your first port of call should perhaps be to see if the computer is still in its warranty period and/or contact Dell.

Failing this start your computer up in Safe Mode: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/w...

And then try to rectify any driver problems you can identify in the Device Manager (look for yellow exclamation marks).

Then update any drivers that you can, in particular your display drivers.

Reboot and try again.

You could also try checking your memory using memtest86 - http://www.memtest86.com/

BSODs are generally hard to diagnose, but hopefully that will give you a place to start.

Also check exactly what message your BSOD is reporting. It could be a text message, such as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or it could be the number equivalent, e.g. 0x00000000A. Take note of this and post it here or on a technical forum or Google it for some more specific help. In particular if it states a driver name (e.g. nv4disp.dll) then this will greatly aid your diagnosis.

your memory could be dying. try running a memtest.

if you have a dell 600m then you're screwed, it happens to everyone because the laptop has a bad motherboard