Why can't I get pregnant?

My ex boyfriend and I tried for 5 years with no success. My current boyfriend and I have been trying for 1 year with no success. Is it my body or is it fate just telling me I'm not ready...? I'm so scared to go to a doctor and then they tell me I can't have babies. I just want 1 !!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have been trying for 5 years I would definitely talk to a doctor. There is so many ways they are able to help couples get pregnant. Have you been charting your temps or anything to find out when you are ovulating? Try fertilityfriend.com... its an awesome site!

Good luck :)

• 1 decade ago

There's no telling why you can't get PG. However, 'just wanting a baby' isn't a good reason to be trying. If you tried 5 years with an ex and 1 year with the current, that means you're not in very long term commited relationships. If you get PG, and this boyfriend leaves, are you prepared to be a single mom??

• lisa m
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

trying for that long usualy means there is something not right with one of you,going to the doctor is the only way of knowing

good luck

Source(s): ttc
  • 1 decade ago

While some lucky people may get pregnant almost as soon as they start trying, it takes longer for many couples. One good way of increasing your odds is to chart your fertility cycle -- that way, you'll better understand when you have the best chance of becoming pregnant. As you go through your cycle, your body gives you all sorts of clues to indicate when it is going into ovulation. You just need to know how to look for them.

Why Bother Charting?

Charting may seem like a hassle. Obviously, people have managed to get pregnant without the assistance of charts and graphs for most of human history. But by keeping track of a few different things every day, you can improve the odds of becoming pregnant. Charting involves:

Taking your basal body temperature.

Examining your cervical mucus.

Noting when your menstrual period began.

Noting when you had sexual intercourse.

Knowing this information can make a difference. Though the average couple conceives after about five or six months of trying, people who know how to determine when the woman ovulates and who have sex regularly during that time can conceive in less than three or four months. Charting can make you more in touch with your body. It's also helpful if you have questions for your doctor, since he or she can see what you've been doing.

Taking Your Temperature

Monitoring a woman's basal body temperature -- or BBT -- has been a time-honored way of charting and predicting ovulation, and it's helped many women get pregnant. However, recent research has shown that it may not be as effective as experts previously thought.

Before ovulation, a woman's basal body temperature is usually about 97.0 to 97.5 degrees Fahrenheit, although those numbers can vary from person to person. During ovulation, your body releases the hormone progesterone, which results in a slightly raised temperature a day or two after ovulation -- usually by .1 or .2 degrees. Your temperature will probably stay elevated until your next cycle begins. If you become pregnant during that cycle, your temperature will stay elevated beyond that.

A 1/10 degree difference may not sound like much, and it isn't. Also, keep in mind that the temperature change happens after ovulation, which means that once your temperature goes up, you've probably already missed your chance to become pregnant in that cycle. But by charting your temperature every day over several cycles, you may start to see a pattern and be able to predict when you are most fertile.

Cervical Mucus

Although it may take some detective work -- and may be a little off-putting to some -- learning to detect changes in your cervical mucus is an easy and highly effective of way of predicting ovulation. According to a recent study, it's a more accurate way of predicting ovulation than BBT, although it can be used in conjunction with it.

The mucus released by the cervix serves different purposes. When you're not ovulating or approaching ovulation, cervical mucus prevents sperm from getting into the uterus at a time when you couldn't become pregnant anyway. As you near ovulation, your cervix secretes an increasing amount of mucus, and when you're at your most fertile, your cervical mucus is stretchy and clear, like the consistency of egg whites. At this point, the mucus actually protects the sperm and helps it in its journey toward the egg.

For a woman with a 28-day cycle, the pattern of changes in her cervical mucus would look something like this:

Days 1-5: Menstruation occurs.

Days 6-9: Vagina is dry with little to no mucus.

Days 10-12: Sticky, thick mucus appears, gradually becoming less thick and more white.

Days 13-15: Mucus becomes thin, slippery, stretchy, and clear, similar to the consistency of egg whites. This is the most fertile stage.

Days 16-21: Mucus becomes sticky and thick again.

Days 22-28: Vagina becomes dry.

However, your cycle will probably differ from this pattern, perhaps significantly, which is why it's useful to mark changes on your own fertility chart.

Ideally, you should check your cervical mucus daily, possibly every time you go to the bathroom. If you rub some toilet paper or your fingers -- after washing your hands -- over the opening of your vagina, you should be able to detect cervical mucus. Examine the color and consistency between your fingers and make sure to note it down.

Cervical Position

Another way of learning about where you are in your cycle is to examine the position of your cervix. If you insert two fingers into your vagina, you should feel the cervix at the end. Before ovulation, it should feel hard and dry, like the tip of a nose. During ovulation, you should notice that it seems to have shifted higher and that it feels softer and wetter. However, you should always make sure that your hands are clean before you start poking around. And since it may be hard to tell exactly what you're looking for, you may want to talk to your doctor first.

Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPKs)

One generally effective way of finding out when you're ovulating, especially if you have an irregular cycle, is to use an ovulation predictor kit that you can buy at a drugstore. By testing the levels of leutinizing hormone (LH) in your urine, the OPK can tell you when you're undergoing the surge in LH levels that precedes ovulation by 12 to 36 hours. However, if you have polycystic ovary syndrome, your levels of LH may always be elevated, making the predicator kit unreliable. Other OPKs, such as the ClearPlan Easy Fertility Monitor, provide a computerized monitor that analyzes the level of hormones in your urine.

*** You have to put a little time and effort into learning your body. Once this has been established and you have SEEN a doctor to rule out any problems then you should be well on your way to having that one baby***

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes u have to go to doctor ang take suggestion from them

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do not lose hope..mayb GOD doesnt want them to be d father of ur child..for a meantime, have ur relationship be blessed thru church wedding...and u will b surprised! coz d rest will follow accdg to God's plans..Goodluck!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe your bfs had low sperm counts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.