schizophrenic in court?

If a person that is a schizophrenic testifies in court making delusional statements that are untrue, can they be charged with purgery? This person is supposed to be taking a prescribed anti-psychotic and is not.

• Stevie
    Favorite Answer

unless you can prove that the person cannot determine what really is reality and that the person isnt credible..yes they can be charged with purgery if their statements are found to be false by the court.

I would think no you that a monster is chaseing me and that it is 200 stories high and only I can see it

If I believe this - then I am not telling a "lie" I am just wrong

The problem becomes when my delusion is fairly believable and the listener is tempted to believe as well

The good news is that although a charge of purgery probably can't be laid- once mental illness is established nothing is believed - Grass is green becomes a statement that must be verified by a recognised authority in both grassology and greenology -

• Apple

Not likely, at least not in the U.S. One of the elements of perjury is intent; that is, the witness must have knowledge of the falsity of his or her statements. If he or she is delusional and believes the statements to be true -- however outlandish they might be -- then that element cannot be proven.

Does the other attorney know about this? Has he or she challenged the witness' testimony?