mona_33 asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

Where is a good place to snowboard in Japan?

Im going there on vacation this christmas and I've been there last year and the places where I went snowboarding had no ramps or rails so it was kind of boring. Please help me find some

• Favorite Answer

I would recommend you to snowboard in Hokkaido. It has the most snowfall in the world. Places in Hokkaido that I know which have rail and trail are Niseko, Rusutsu and Furano. Niseko is a leading snow resort with lots of light powder snow and lots pf foreigners come here. Most of the restaurants here offer English menus by default.

I have done all the research and here is my information. I am an old school snowboarder, way back before snowboarding was allowed on all the resorts. I will try to give you enough information to help you have a good time.

If you will be staying in the Tokyo area, I suggest to go to the Echigo-Yuzawa area. I suggest this because of the easy access compared to getting to Nagano. The best place to go for snowboard parks and ramps in the Echigo-yuzawa area is Jouetsu Kokusai Resort. Besides having half pipe, jumps ramps rail, box and all the usual terrain features, the area is much more spread out.

To get to the Echigo-Yuzawa area is fairly straight forward, either from Tokyo or Ueno station, you take the Shinkansen to Echigo-Yuzawa. If you get the actual schedule, there are a few shinkansen trains that will go right to Gala-Yuzawa ski resort. Since Gala Yuzawa ski resort has a shinkansen stop right under it main lodge, it is usually crowded and packed with people all over the resort. It sucks.

OK back to the subject, once you get to Echigo-Yuzawa you can get to Jouestu Kokusai in the following ways:

Take a taxi - This may cost about 2500 yen, the taxis have racks for snowboards, but they charge and extra 150 yen per board. No big deal.

Free shuttle- either from Gala or Echigo-Yuzawa station there are free shuttles. I speak Japanese and this was sometimes hit and miss. Once I got right outside of the station and the free shuttle was pulling away.

There is a local train that runs from Echigo-Yuzawa station and will stop at the parking lot of Jouestu Kokusai.

Nagano has the best overall terrain, but is a pain to get to. You have to take the shinkansen to Nagano, then take another 1 hour bus ride, then a shuttle ride to the resort. Nagano is great for a 3 day weekend.

Hokkaido has the best snow. Deep powder. I take my family on our yearly Christmas snowboarding vacation to Hokkaido. We usually spend 5 days in Hokkaido.

More recently, almost all parks have snowboard terrain and jumps. They have to, most of the people on the mountain are snowboarders.

I surely have achieved all the examine and right it is my information. i'm an old college snowboarder, some time past until eventually now snowboarding became allowed on all the lodges. i will attempt to grant you sufficient information that may additionally assist you have a sturdy time. in case you would be staying interior the Tokyo section, I propose to pass to the Echigo-Yuzawa section. I propose this as a results of uncomplicated get right of entry to whilst in comparison with getting to Nagano. the excellent place to choose for snowboard parks and ramps interior the Echigo-yuzawa section is Jouetsu Kokusai hotel. as nicely having a million/2 pipe, jumps ramps rail, field and all the known terrain effective factors, the section is plenty extra spread out. To get to the Echigo-Yuzawa section is amazingly immediately forward, the two from Tokyo or Ueno station, you're taking the Shinkansen to Echigo-Yuzawa. in case you get the relatively schedule, there are some shinkansen trains which will pass best to Gala-Yuzawa ski hotel. for the reason that Gala Yuzawa ski hotel has a shinkansen stop best below it considerable hotel, it relatively is often crowded and complete of people all over the hotel. It sucks. ok back to the undertaking, as quickly as you get to Echigo-Yuzawa you may get to Jouestu Kokusai contained in right here techniques: Take a taxi - this would fee approximately 2500 yen, the taxis have racks for snowboards, yet they charge and extra a hundred and fifty yen consistent with board. No enormous deal. unfastened return and forth- the two from Gala or Echigo-Yuzawa station there are unfastened shuttles. I talk eastern and this became each so often hit or pass over. when I have been given best outdoors of the station and the unfastened return and forth became pulling away. there's a close-by prepare that runs from Echigo-Yuzawa station and could stop on the parking zone of Jouestu Kokusai. Nagano has the excellent standard terrain, yet is a soreness to get to. you may take the shinkansen to Nagano, then take yet another a million hour bus experience, then a return and forth experience to the hotel. Nagano is excellent for a three day weekend. Hokkaido has the excellent snow. Deep powder. I take my family contributors on our each year Christmas snowboarding holiday to Hokkaido. We generally spend 5 days in Hokkaido. extra at present, almost all parks have snowboard terrain and jumps. they could, a good style of the people on the mountain are snowboarders.

I went to Madarao Japan, and I had a good time there!

• Hana

Nagano ken is a good place & so is Shimane ken...