Please help... has anyone read Scarlet letter?

if you have can you tell what is it about... i have a essay due tomorrow

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no i haven't read it

• 1 decade ago

I'm reading the scarlet letter now. I'll give you the details. Okay Hester Prynn came from amsterdam to boston to get settled down and wait on her husband. Hester told the people in the town a.k.a (puritants) that she was married. Hester was supposed to get things settled (the house & everything) so everything would be straight when her husband got there. About a year or so later hester had a baby. The puritants were really strict on religion and they put hester in jail. Hester came out of jail with her baby (newborn) pearl. The people of the town made hester go to the market place and stand on the scaffold for 3 hours as a part of her punishment. Public humiliation in front of everyone. The other part of her punishment was to wear an "A" on her bosom (chest) for the rest of her life. A= adultery. When hester was on the scaffold she saw a man in the crowd with a group of indians and he signaled her not to say anything. The man was hester's husband. he asked someone why she was up on the scaffold and they told him of the sin she had committed. Roger chillingworth is her husband after hester was punished she went back to jail and roger treated hester and pearl because they were sick. Roger was going to dedicate his life trying to find the father of hester's baby. No one knew who the father was because hester didn't tell anyone. years went by and people didn't acknowledge hester or pearl. they secluded them and isolated them. Hester was a seamstress and was good at what she did. Hester dress in simple plain clothes and she dressed pearl in exciting bright clothes. Pearl has always been facinated by the "a" on her mothers chest. she always ask what does it stand for why does she wear it everyday and why does dimmesdale keep his hand over his heart. Dimmesdale is the pastor of the town and he stuck up for hester when the legislators tried to take pearl. roger chillingworth was a doctor and dimmesdales health was failing. roger moved in with chillingworth because he wanted to be close so he could treat him. also he wanted to know what was dimmesdale hiding

• 1 decade ago

Well you really screwed yourself there, didn't ya?

It starts out with a young woman, Hester Prynne, being walked from the jail to the town center, where she was to stand for a few hours and be heckled as punishment for her crime. Her crime was adultery. She's married, her husband didn't come over on the ship, they've been separated for quite some time, yet somehow, Hester has given birth to a child, Pearl. Hester refuses to name the father. Her punishment is to wear a scarlet "A" (for "adulterer") for the rest of her life. On this day, her husband arrives in town and is surprised to see her this way. He introduces himself as Roger Chillingsworth (it's been a few years, but I believe that's the name) and doesn't let anyone know he and Hester are married. He dedicates his new life in Boston to discovering the father of his wife's child.

Instead of fleeing the town, she stays there, living alone with her daughter at the edge of town, making money as a seamstress. Chillingsworth is a doctor and he limits his interaction with Hester and Pearl.

Arthur Dimmesdale is the local minister. He is tortured by his guilt over something that we don't really discover until about the middle of the book. Dimmesdale gets a lot of medical problems and Chillingsworth moves in with him in order to be closer to him. Chillingsworth senses that Dimmesdale is hiding something and torments him relentlessly to get him to confess.

After a long series of events which I can't remember in the proper order and which you'll probably need to know to write a successful paper, we discover that Dimmesdale is Pearl's father and Hester's accomplice in adultery. Dimmesdale dies at the stocks, overcome by his guilt. He had carved an "A" into his own flesh, and at the end of the book, he reveals this to the town before dying.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Then you should have read the material yourself.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

have you considered:

www.sparknotes.com

www.pinkmonkey.com

www.bookrags.com

.. not that you should copy stuff from there... but use it as reference when you read the book

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no but why can,t you do it yourself

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.