Why is the YMCA associated with homosexuals?

It doesn't seem very gay to me. (Quite frankly, I was a bit disappointed.)

Favorite Answer

when the YMCA was first starting, many patrons elected to swim in the buff, this, combined with open showers, saunas, whirl pools, they began to get a reputation in the '50s and 60s of being a good gay pick-up area. Long before interstate rest stops became gay cruise areas, closeted gay christian men cruised YMCAs. It wasn't exactly widespread public knowledge until the Village People song. Coincidentally, that song is probably to blame for the downcline in popularity among the general public for many YMCA facilities.

Source(s): And.... I'd like to know who's doing the "thumbs downs" on those answers which are accurate, but thumbs up for the "i don't know" answers?

That song is from the 70s and the song is why there is the association. Back in those days it did become a kind of meeting place. Because it was possible to stay at the YMCA. you could get a room and stay the night. I dont know if there are any YMCAs where it is still possible but I think they did away with the sleeping rooms because guys were getting the rooms to have sex with each other.the C stands for christian so they couldnt really allow that to go on. Could they?

c'mon guy, no person is possibly to molest every physique on the Y. particular there is gay adult adult males there yet what th eheck; they're there to swim or workout or play a interest merely such as you and your son ought to. that is not a gay project or place, merely a guy's place. and the two boys and adult adult males do seem at one yet another to some volume in locker and bathe room yet th estraight adult adult males actual seem to seem way greater effective than gay adult adult males. Hoiwever that is jus tnatural curiousity not something sexual. so, in case you desire to apply the facilites and luxuriate in a guy's ecosystem inclusive of your son then do it. in case you desire to have faith relatively everyone seems to be out to molest you and your son then stay residing house. your selection.

Because of Village People.

• I have no idea, that sounds like a good question, read all about it here.

it was never meant to be! it's because of that song.

I didn't know it was.

I didn't think it was...