Do you let your kids watch the Teletubbies? Why or why not?

I was completely anti-teletubbies.... then one day my son saw it and fell in love with them. I didn't like it, but he wouldn't stop talking about them, so I figured "Why not? What harm could it possibly do"? Well he's been watching the show for about 2 weeks now. He is only 2 1/2, and his vocabulary is outstanding. Lately, I've noticed that he is starting to babble. For example, when he doesn't want to do something I tell him, he says something like "No ca cow"! (he used to just say no, don't like it) I always believed that the rumors that the teletubbies promoted homosexuality, and that was confirmed for me today. My son wanted to play teletubbies games on sprout.com, and I found one called "dirty knees"... the whole game was to clean the teletubbies dirty knees. As of today, I will no longer let my son watch this show, no matter how badly he cries. I really believe that it's affecting his vocabulary and I also believe it promotes and encourages homosexuality. What are your thoughts?

I want to express that I am NOT against homosexuals in anyway, however, I don't feel that it is (just like heterosexual sexuality) something that children need to be exposed to.

Favorite Answer

I agree with you, I'm glad that my son loves to watch go Diego go and wonderpets i even like to watch it, anyways i watched the teletubbies before and really it doesn't teach children anything useful like math, colors(a little), language, correct pronunciation, alphabet, numbers, friendship, and other topics. I mean they just act stupid in the entire show and giggle alot and i hate that they repeat the interviews with kids (they show it on one of their stomachs). I just hope that they stop showing it and put in another better show. Well hope you can correct you child and good luck to ya.

The quandary that many parents end up in is they don't have enough time to look for the right eBook s and learning design with which to teach their children but with this particular plan https://tr.im/Ij4Zr , Children Learning Reading this issue is come to a end.

Children Learning Reading is really comprehensive, and your child will have no problems assimilating the lessons while the classes are well-designed. Because the system is dependant on phonetics, the training process is gradual.

In Children Learning Reading program the instructions are special and can't be present in other understanding methods.

I did not. Both of my kids had speech delays, so I was not about to make it worse by letting them watch Teletubbies (my friend is a speech pathologist, and she told me since Teletubbies has been around, more and more kids have had problems with speech and diction, particularly in the Teletubby hayday.)

I'm not sure I'd be that worried about the implied homosexuality, but the speech issues alone are enough to make me not let them watch.

Strangely enough, though, my youngest loved all Teletubbies STUFF, even though he did not actually WATCH Teletubbies. So he'd go around with a little stuffed Teletubby like he was a huge fan of the show, when he'd never seen it. :-)

Teletubbies Dirty Knees

My son saw a few episodes of Teletubbies. We limit the amount of time our child watches TV to begin with. He didn't stay interested in the Teletubbies for a long time, but while he was interested we did let him watch it. I would watch it with him, and make complete sentances. "OOH look Dipsy is wearing a hat!! You like wearing hats!" I do this with any show he is watching. If a show ever shows something not appropriate for our family, I explain to my toddler than, that we dont agree with what the character is doing.

I do not think they promote homosexuality. I never saw anything that would give me that impression. I sure hope you don't pass your homophobia on to your son!

Its just a really stupid show but kids love it. television can not make someone gay. I did see one episode though where they all took turns wearing this big skirt. I thought it was funny.because really there not male or female there teletubbies.

I also think its funny that the sun looks like a baby with its head on fire.

my daughter is three and she says she still likes it but if it is on she does'nt really watch it.

If you don't like it dont let him watch it read a book instead.

It's a little kid's thing. He will probably have forgotten the term from the game, 'dirty knees' before he even knows what it means. You're the parent though. You make the choice. you seem to have made the choice already!

u did the right thing, and i believe that it promotes homosexuality, and it affects ur language. i mean come on, two characters are boys and one of them has a red purse and wearing a tutu skirt. and the sun with the baby's head freaks me out, a lot. they teach u nothing but to be stupid and delusional. i never liked it as a kid, never. i always thought it scares me and everything. if u think this is bad, watch boobah, it's 100000000 worse!!!

i had the same problem as you.... i let my kids watch teletubbies and Pingu (the penguin) and my 3 year old has totally went back to babbling... i have taken them away for about 6 months now and he still does it on occasion... i DO NOT RECOMMEND any show anymore where they are not speaking an official language... way to hard to revert them back!!

I Don't have Kids, but one day was switching channels and came across the Teletubbies. If anything it freaked me out beyond belief !!!