Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

What could cause my Windows XP box to suddenly start missing keystrokes despite replacing the keyboard?

Update:

Unless I'm running my MMORPG type programs or any of my research (neural networks), my CPU load averages less than 10%.

Update 2:

Acid:

It also occurs to me... how the heck did you notice me posting something over in this area so quickly?

Are you stalking me? :P

Update 3:

Laptop.

I sent it off for repairs because of the dropped keystrokes (amongst other problems not quite so critical). The keyboard module was completely replaced.

Update 4:

Er, the module was replaced but the problem remains.

Update 5:

Oh yeah... forgot about that whole 'contact' thing

And now that you mention the touch pad thing, I do think I recently updated that driver... crap.

Update 6:

ACID! I love you man, I love you most seriously!

http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=59...

That was the first link in the post you sent.

When I sent off my laptop, I also had to order a new power supply (the thing got so hot it cracked) and a new battery.

I just popped out the battery and I haven't dropped a keystroke since and I'm typing at my full typing speed. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wow, um, in 10 years as a corporate admin I've never encountered that. The only thing I can think of is your CPU load is so high that the keyboard buffer is failing to store keystrokes.

Or maybe a humorous new virus, but I don't think so.

Source(s): Is it a desktop? edit: yes, I am. OR I see questions posted by my contacts in my profile :) Ah, notebook. I've done a quick search on the net and it could be any number of things: http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+%22missi... A quick summary: - try updating the notebook BIOS - try updating the notebook touchpad drivers - if it is a Sony you are boned.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.