How can people say God is eternal?

I can see how an early human would look at a strangely shaped rock in the cave and think it was talking. I can see how people look up at the sky and think God created everything. But the idea of creation does not make sense to me, especially when you look at it from an anterior perspective. For these questions, I am speaking of both biblical creation and big bang creation.

Why would there be a being, before everything, without anything? Such a reality would take credit away from the universe (as being everything and only), no?

How can God be eternal, but the universe not? Why would God, a flawless being, choose that exact moment to start everything? Surely it couldn't be random, what influenced this decision?

Does God hold a significance to what we know as everything?

Is everything created for us? If it were, why would a God reveal himself?

Favorite Answer

It's simple rationalization of a flawed logic. Saying that God lives outside all bounds is just an easy way of saying "I have no reasonable answer, but I'm right anyhow."

<<<Why would there be a being, before everything, without anything? Such a reality would take credit away from the universe (as being everything and only), no?>>>

WRONG ASSUMPTION ABOUT GOD. ACTUALLY, GOD IS NOT EVERYTHING. HE EXISTED BEGININGLESSLY AND NOTHING ELSE EXISTED ALONG WITH HIM.

<<<How can God be eternal, but the universe not? Why would God, a flawless being, choose that exact moment to start everything? Surely it couldn't be random, what influenced this decision?>>>

ACTUALLY GOD IS PRE-ETERNAL, IN FACT, HE IS BEGININGLESS. HE CREATED THINGS IN THAT EXACT MOMENT AS IT WAS HIS WILL TO DO SO. HE CREATED ALL THINGS BY HIS POWER.

<<<Does God hold a significance to what we know as everything?>>>

GOD KNOWS EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED, EVERYTHING THAT IS HAPPENING, EVERYTHING THAT SHALL HAPPEN, EVERYTHING THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN AND EVERYTHING THAT CANNOT HAPPEND; BESIDES KNOWING HIMSELF COMPLETELY.

<<<Is everything created for us? If it were, why would a God reveal himself?>>>

NO! NOT EVERYTHING IS CREATED FOR US. WE ONLY TAKE WHAT GOD WILLED US TO HAVE. GOD ORDERED US TO BELIEVE IN HIM; AS THAT IS HIS WILL. REMEMBER THAT GOD DID NOT REVEAL HIMSELF TO US COMPLETELY.

<<<the idea of creation does not make sense to me, especially when you look at it from an anterior perspective. For these questions, I am speaking of both biblical creation and big bang creation.>>>

IT MAKES FULL SENSE WHEN YOU KNOW THAT IT IS STATED IN THE KORAN THAT GOD CREATED THE BIG BANG AND THEREAFTER THE UNIVERSE EXPANDED!

Source(s): Former Jew that converted to Islam.

All we know is that God is and was always there; He had no birth nor will He die. The universe is very different. Unlike God, the universe is physical (whether God is physicl or not no one will ever know). It had a birth and it will one day have a death. That is how God is eternal and the univserse if not.

Why God chose that exact moment of creation only He knows. It wasnt random, but perhaps God had decided he wanted to create things and so He did, but why, again, only He knows. God does hold significance in everything we know. He created the world through the discoveries science has made and the relious teachings of the Bible.

Everthing was created for us. God only revealed Himself so people would see it was He who created everything and that He does exist.

Wow...nice questions. This could be the basis for a whole series of replies.

If I take the first one though: "How can people say God is eternal?"; From a Jewish/Christian/Muslim perspective, I think the reply would consistently be that God is eternal because He said he is. The point here is that it's a FAITH issue. If you believe that what's been recorded in the Torah/Bible/Quran, then you believe that God is eternal.

I believe that God is eternal because God himself said so. It's an issue of Faith. Some people do Faith...others don't. Let's be fair and leave it at that.

The Bible has "eternal God" and "eternal life" mentioned quite regularly (no surprise, right?), I've got a link to one part where Jesus talks about it here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthe...

Have a great week!

Steve in Sunny Seattle

I believe there is insufficient evidence to make a conclusive claim about the origins of the universe. Contrast that with, say, evolution.

The universe is expanding right now, but who knows, maybe it's cyclical and will have a contraction period eventually. Maybe there was a big bang but the universe existed in some other form before it. Like I said the evidence is inconclusive. The more evidence you get to support a theory the more you will see a consensus.

If the big bang was disproven I don't think astronomers would cling to the big bang theory just because that's what they grew up believing, they would be excited to uncover more of the real story.

I've asked the same question another way several times and never received a reply. Maybe a double whammy of yours and mine will pass some threshold to acquire answers. Asked another way:

Why must everything have an Alpha and Omega, be created by god, except god himself? If god has always existed, why did he wait so long until just 6,000 years ago to create humans and the universe? Did he try this human experiment long ago, destroy all of humanity or whatever creatures he made before, and then try again with us as humans?

Is it not possible that the universe has always existed and has no beginning (Alpha) and end (Omega)? Who or what created god and exactly what is god (what is he/she made of)?

Most people that know that creation is proof of a Creator but rebel against that knowledge do so because they know inherently that a created being is responsible to the one who created him.

Romans 1 clearly states that we are without excuse relative to proof of God's existence. God's righteousness and intelligence is seen in His creation. "The heavens declare the glory of God". (Psalm 19:1)

God made us finite in our understanding that is why we struggle to comprehend what it means to be "eternal". The best way to think about it is that it means to be without beginning and without ending.

God's creation was the "beginning" of time. "In the beginning God created" That is when "time" began. However, in terms of eternity, the creation of the universe, earth, and life has just been a blip on the screen of eternity.

• MumOf5

All "intelligence," light and/or matter is eternal, and was with God, in the beginning (including the embryonic forms of our what are now our spirits).

The Universe is also eternal, in that it is made from eternal matter, but it is in the process of becoming more and more organised. In the beginning, it's orderly parts were not so big, obviously.

God did not "create" the universe from nothing. God only caused things to become more orderly, through guiding the intelligences (or energy) to behave according to certain laws (eg gravity, light, sound, etc).

P.S. I'd really like to answer, but I don't understand your last 3 questions. They sound interesting, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

First of all, i would like to say that there's always things that human mind cannot maintain . because simply our potential to understand is limited to our senses. like for example you cannot tell what beyond the wall 'cus simply you cannot see through it.

for your questions;

1 i think you would agree with me if tell you that nothing is perfect right? well how did we say its imperfect without comparing it to something?, so there must be a thing that hold the absolute perfection and that is God.

2 again, you'll never know the answer because you are not the God and you'll never reach the ability to understand him.

3 I think so. but everything is not definable word

4 from my perspective, yes i think everything is created for us cuz i believe that God is testing us. how do we reacts and response. Then based on that, he decide who is good and who's evil.

hope i answered your questions.

O.K. why woulden't God be eternal.? The universe is eternal,how can it not be.The whole point of the issue is the fact that God has always been even before he created this tiny earth.