Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why is it that religious folks take credit for the institution of marriage?

A question was asked about gays getting married and one person stated ,"You are taking it out of context ."Separation of church and state". When you marry someone you stand in a church in front of god,and ask to become one. I don't care what you do in the comfort of your own home,but keep it out of my church!!!!"

This implies that the institution of marriage doesnt exist without the churc but... quite simply IT DOES so... why do you people keep claiming to be the masters of things you merely participate in?

Arrogant much?

Favorite Answer

Well, they do believe that some giant sky ghost created the whole universe just for them...

Is marriage a non secular business enterprise? i don't think of so. that's a criminal affiliation. i don't belong to any faith and that i became allowed to get married and that i now have specific criminal rights in regulation. I see no reason by any skill that gay couples shouldn't marry and get an identical secure practices below the regulation that I even have. A civil partnership is going in some way in direction of this yet till the day that the rights below a civil partnership are comparable to those of a marriage between a guy and a girl (and universally regarded as such) then issues are nonetheless not equitable and truthful. i think of bringing faith into the argument confuses the issue. Calling something a sin basically through fact the bible (or different religious writings) say that's while in easily certainty basic sense can not help the argument is basically undeniable stupid.

That's just one of the many ways Christianity has tried to stamp out Paganism. Marriage was first instituted by the Hellenic Polytheists (early Greek pagans) centuries before Christ came to Earth. The same with the wedding ring. The Hellenics believed that there was a blood vessel that lead from the left ring finger to the heart.

When Christianity began to dominate Europe, they took many pagan traditions and tried to say they were Christian.

Source(s): Pagan

As Christians we believe God created marriage.

Now, that said, one of the big problems many Christians have with changing the definition of marriage is that ministers could be sued for discrimination if they refused to marry a couple that does not fit the Biblical definition of marriage. So they rightly fear it being pushed on their church, if the history of lawsuits in America is any clue.

I think marriage historically has been linked with religion in one way or another, regardless of culture. But what marriage is should not be defined by the Abrahamic monotheists. They didn't invent the idea, but they did invent the notion of cannonizing the killing of gay people. They've got some twisted logic, that's for sure.

That's just crazy. Marriage is a civil union, and by it's very nature is a contract. One that requires specific performance, and can be breached. Try getting a divorce if you don't believe me.

The first marriage (Adam & Eve) was performed by God, but my dad was an ordained minister for years, he always said, By the power vested in me by the STATE of.... sounds like the state is taking credit, maybe its both.

"oh my evolution" (looks wide eyed at your avatar) -where have you been? I haven't seen you in ages! very arrogant indeed!

yes, i do believe the great sky god created the whole universe for me. not for you. to answer your question, a family that PRAYS TOGETHER, STAYS TOGETHER.

Because they should all be institutionalized!