Can anyone help me on this subject?

For some strange reason I dont feel love. I love my family...but I dont love myself. To me it stems from me in my late teens. One day It just happened. For reasons I dont want to open old wounds ...I really dont love myself. Ask my closest friends and they couldn't give me a answer. Should I speak to a psychiatrist on why I really feel this way. I just don't feel anything for myself. I just can'tforce myself to love myself. I dont know why I feel this way.

Favorite Answer

I commend you for trying to seek help... that's a hard thing to do... and you're awesome for it!!! Yes, I believe you should speak to a psychiatrist. The things you describe can often be symptoms of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) or simply just depression.

It is not normal to not love yourself. For a long time I never realized that the pain and self loathe that I felt were not normal. When someone finally told me... and I finally got around to getting help, I became a totally different person. The things that bothered me, and even things that didn't, no longer hurt me. I became enveloped in self love and a feeling of worth.

So go see a psychiatrist. What wrong can happen from going? You might find out things about yourself that you didn't know before. Chances are this is a life long project and that you will be working at it for a long time, but I promise it's worth it.

Source(s): Recovering sufferer of anxiety, OCD and PTSD. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiet... Look around on this site... they have a lot of good information about mental health =) Be sure to email/IM if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to.

I'm not sure what your question is. Self love???, self confidence?, self knowledge? self preservation?

You can love your family but you are the viewer, you feel the emotion but it is your emotion that you feel towards them. Empathy is when you imagine what they are feeling and it resonates inside of you so you feel what they are feeling. You can feel sorry for yourself and make yourself sad, you can feel love for others and make yourself feel good.

Self confidence is what I think your taking for self love feelings. You can be Self Confident, self assured in the presence of others and be just yourself when your alone.