Chuck T asked in SportsWrestling · 1 decade ago

why wasnt Ted DiBiase given the WWE Championship when he wrestled back in da day , to me he deserved it?

just look at the guys vince has given the title too over the years

he was just as good as Bret Hart,StoneCold,The Rock and so on

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

BACK WHEN TED WAS IN THE WWE IN THE 80S AND EARLY 90S THE WWE WAS ALL ABOUT HAVING A FACE HOLD THE TITLES THEN. MY GUESS ALSO IS HE PROBALY TOLD THEM HE DIDNT CARE IF HE HAD A BELT THEN.

YOU THINK ABOUT IT BACK THEN IT WAS ONLY A FEW THAT GOT THE TITLE ITS NOT LIKE THE ATTITUDE ERA AND THE BELT CHANGES HANDS MONTHLY.

GO THROUGH AND NAME ALL THE DESERVING GUYS FROM THE ATTITUDE ERA THAT NEVER HELD A WORLD TITLE AND I COULDNT NAME ANY.

NOW NAME THE ONES FROM BACK THEN I COULD NAME 5 WITH OUT EVEN THINKING TOO HARD.

DIBIASE

HENNING

BRITISH BULLDOG

STEAMBOAT

RICK RUDE (ALTHOUGH HE GOT THE BELT IN WCW)

• 1 decade ago

"The idea of heels not carrying titles back then was BS. Ric Flair was a heel the majority of the 80s and he practically owned the NWA World title...he did a pretty decent job in that the fans wanted to see him get his tail kicked, whether it be Rhodes, Windham, Luger, Steamboat...whoever. "

Yes, but that was NWA. WWF was all about the faces, as they were easier to market. Granted it was one guy who held the belt for most of Dibiase's active WWF career. But even look at the Heavyweight title picture back then. What memorable heels did Hogan feud with? His three big feuds in that time frame were Andre, Warrior, and Savage. Andre and Savage were heels for those feuds, but were generally faces.

As much as I like Dibiase (and he made the perfect replacement for Heenan when The Weasel lost his voice), he really wasn't anything all that great in the ring. He was perfect at doing his character though, which worked well for IC fueds and tag teams.

As for Ricky Steamboat, who one of the other posters mentioned, that was pure backstage business. Vince would've put the strap on Steamboat in a heartbeat if he'd have signed a contract. But Ricky worked without a deal the entire time he was in WWF. One stipulation of all the contracts Vince offered was that the wrestler's in-ring name and likeness would be forever WWF property (so even after they retire, Vince can use the old video footage however he wants), and Ricky wanted his son to be able to use the Steamboat name if he grew up to become a wrestler. Vince wouldn't change the wording to allow for that, so he never signed.

• 1 decade ago

The idea of heels not carrying titles back then was BS. Ric Flair was a heel the majority of the 80s and he practically owned the NWA World title...he did a pretty decent job in that the fans wanted to see him get his tail kicked, whether it be Rhodes, Windham, Luger, Steamboat...whoever.

DiBiase as champ after buying the title would have been even bigger...they could have had Hogan vs. DiBiase at WM IV and that would have been a BIG ME.

• 1 decade ago

2 things....#1 he did BUY the title from Andre after he (andre) defeated Hogan at Saturday Night's Main Event (this lead up to the Title tournament at WM 4)...and #2, DiBiase, as much as I respect his ability as a performer, was nothing special, the only thing that made him stick out was his gimmick (which was given to him by McMahon only because DiBiase himself owned 2 different regional territories when he signed with WWF)....his in-ring performance was normally carried by whoever he was in there with, even if it was a tag-team partner.....which would probably explain why he spent more time in a tag-team or as a manager than as a singles wrestler.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In those days it was all about the Faces. Hogan, Warrior, Savage, etc. These were the faces of the WWF at that time. DiBiase was a great heel and had heat w/o the title.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree.

I think that he "Bought" the title from Andre the Giant, but never got a real run with the title.

He's almost like the Masa Chono of America (granted Chono did snag the NWA and IWGP World titles for a time). A great wrestler who used a "evil crime boss" gimmick but never really had the world title himself.

• 1 decade ago

i agree with the two above me, he was too much of a heel back then

• Bob K
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yea no heels wore the strap back then

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because he cant wrestle that well...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.