I'm confused about a thesis?

Well, my teacher wants an essay about the changes that I have discovered in the literature we've read from the beginning of the semester to the end? These include style, subject...blah blah.

I wrote this basically as my thesis and it sounded extremely lame. I tried to reword it and...lame. Is there possibly anything else I can use as my thesis? The points I made were more vulgarity, authors forced stories along, and loss of subtley when it came to "taboo" things. The only thing I can come up with is:

I've noticed the authors used more vulgarity, have forced their stories along and have stopped using subltey in the literature that I've read.

Geez I just don't know. Does anyone have an idea?

Favorite Answer

what are some major peices that you have read? When you say the author pushes the story along what do you mean? It sounds a little akward...you might want to brainstorm some more. Did the use of imagry increase at all? What about the themes of the writings? If you post more about what you read it might be easier for people to help. good luck :)

I'd check with you rteacher, but quite often in English papers, you are discouraged from using first person (I this, I've that...).

for example, to take the line you already came up with:

"I've noticed the authors used more vulgarity, have forced their stories along and have stopped using subltey {sic} in the literature that I've read."

... Rearrange it to something like the following:

"The authors studied throughout this course have increasingly used vulgarity, forced thier stories along, and lacked subtlety in the literature they have written."

You would also want to rearrange other sentences throughout the paper to avoid the first person narrative.

I know that instructors usually encourage students to come up with a thesis, then prove it, but I usually tend to write the bulk of a paper and then write (or rewrite) my thesis to accomodate.