Anyone know how many millions of dollars of Tax payer money was spent to generate the Mitchell report??

regarding past drug use in baseball?

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of it and why baseball itself should not be cleaning up its own act?

I bet some of the very people who cry about high taxes are ok with this waste of tax payer money. If you want to talk about government waste, well...here is one example right here.

Favorite Answer

Apparently baseball didn't clean up its own act for years and years and years. They were not self policing. Sometimes it takes an outside investigator to uncover the truth. The cost of the investigation hasn't been published yet, but it's nothing near the 47 million it took to find Bill Clinton guilty of lying about his dalliance with Monica Lewinsky. More importantly, the Mitchell investigation was paid for by the baseball commission, not the taxpayer. One benefit: fewer kids will ruin their kidneys and their lives by using steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. Another benefit is that it will return some integrity to baseball. As Bud Selig said: "The only thing I'm going to tell you about the cost is that there was a higher cost in not doing it."