depression and anxiety meds?

I have never understood why the same drug that is prescribed for depression is sometime prescibed for anxiety--how is it one med works for both when to me depression and anxiety are the opposite of each other

Favorite Answer

Depression and anxiety are not opposites of each other, but they are often found together. Anxiety is a neurosis and depression (the real thing, not just "the blues") is probably a disease. (I say probably because there is still no general agreement on what it really is. Debates are still going on.)

The same drug is sometimes prescribed because often two conditions are found with each other. Like electricity and magnetism are found together, there are some conditions where it's highly likely if you find one disorder, the other one will be there too, so drugs are made to try and target both disorders.

Thaey can also be one in the same.. (I had it.) Mild Depression & also had anxiety as well. Only...

I was persscribed EFFEXOR (for adults) it starts on 37 mg. Then goes up to 75...& jsut on the 37 it made me worse. (I was back to where I started when I first started to get symptoms)

prozac & another med is 'safe' for children BUT These meds can MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE (everyone is different) but at the chance that if y ou are not already thinking of suicide these meds may.

No way no day..

I never really understood it either now I'm on a depression/anxiety medication with an extra script of anxiey meds... working out pretty well

Not sure. I was on Effexor for anxiety myself. I think it's because an underlying condition of anxiety is depression but it's manifested itself as anxiety attacks

It has to do with receptors in the brain. They both tend to work on different parts of the brain. However, I feel that some providers don't take SSRI's serious enough and they are prescribed too often. My opinion.

Both conditions result in low dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine is your happy brain chemical and both medications increase the level to lift mood & decrease anxiety.

My opinion of meds are that they are a bandaid that masks what is really going on underneath.

I don't know why they give same prescription for anxiety and depression but i do know that if you suffer from mild or moderate depression there's a natural herb called St. Johns Wort and they say it works wonders.Never tried it but it's natural

• MARY S

nein...no no no no./././aint true.....listen to me plaese.....DEPRESSION N ANXIETY are very related, in fact....its hard to find one without at least a lttle of the other....they go together like love n marriage, like franks n mustard.//../like peanut butter n jelly......so you can't have one without at least a little of the other...when there is one there is a 90 percent chance that there is the other also....its true..i know....i am a source of good info on this subject.

some times the side effect of one med can help aid in helping another symptom.

depression and anxiety are almost always together in someone