newborn around "third hand" smoke??

My newborn baby is one month old..( already wow he is not even going to be a newborn anymore) anyways.. i have a friend that wants me 2 bring him over to her house and show him off to her family.. The family smokes ciggarretts in the home.. they are obviousally not going to smoke at all while my baby is their but i have been hesitant about bringing him over their.. i dont want to tell her oh sorry your family cant see him because they smoke tho.. anyways.. i was wondering if this would be okay if i brought him over to the house..they will not be smoking in the house at all while we are their but will it have a bad effect on him becuase they normally smoke in the house everyday? do u think it would be fine for me to stop their for an hour with him? thank you for answers

• M
    Favorite Answer

I was told by my doc that the smoke particles are still in the air and on all the furniture so even if they wash their hands then touch furniture they can have the cigarette smell and what not but the smoke can be in the air for at least a day or so, but you have to make the final decision

It should be ok for an hour, you may want to ask that they not smoke for about an hour before you get there but you don't have to. My family smokes to and I was always worried so I talked to the pediatrician about it and she said that as long as they didn't smoke during the visit it would be ok, not the best situation but would be ok and shouldn't have an affect on the baby unless the baby is allergic to smoke, if that would be the case then there would be more places you might be prevented from visiting.

I would say it could be dangerous. My mom never wanted me around my grandparents when they were smoking. I was severly allergic to smoke, normally they smoked outside when I was around, but it still bothered me so bad that one day they had to rush me to the emergency room and give me a shot so I could breathe again. I almost died that day. As long as your baby is healthy, you'll probably be okay. But I had severe allergies and asthma, although no one knew how serious until that day.

You'd be better off just inviting them to your house. Plus that way you don't have to pack up everything and take your baby out in the cold.

I understand your concern. When my son was a newborn I was also concerned about bringing him to my mother in laws house as she smokes inside. I was even concerned about allowing smokers to hold him unless they covered their clothes with a blanket or zip-up jacket since my pediatrician warned me that the particles left on clothing are enough to cause a respiratory issue in a child that young. It didn't make me popular with the entended family but I kept exposure to a minimum (we didn't go over there often) unless they came to our house.

I would either swing by there for a short period of time (like 15 minutes) and tell them you're on your way somewhere but wanted to bring him by to introduce him. Or invite them to your home... which makes it a little harder to control the length of the visit as you don't want to be rude and tell them they can only stay for a little while.

Run in and run out! :) No one needs to hold the baby or anything. Just take him during his nap time or make the excuse that you just wanted to stop in but you have to fun home and feed him. He's still really little and you don't want him getting a cold or staying up all night screaming from a sore throat from all the smoke. Take him back for a longer visit when he's a few months older.

I heard of second hand not third. I'm sure it will be fine i go over to my sister in laws and she smokes but when i see her at her house she respects and don't smoke and my baby has been fine

I wouldn't recommend it. I myself a non-smoker, but my family smokes, I havn't brought my baby over to their houses due to this reason. Even though they won't be smoking at the time we're there, it's still in the air. If you ever noticed if you go to someones house even thought they're not smoking, you go home and you stink like ciggarettes... (yuck!!)

I deff wouldn't do it, just explain to them that the smell bothers you (which it does) I honestly don't "bite my tongue" with my family, and I respectfully tell them how I feel. They understand.

good luck!!

Source(s): mother of a 4 month old, family of smokers... :( (yuck)
  • liv t

as long as they aren't smoking I don't think it will be a problem. It may stink in the house but maybe they can air it out some before you get there, I don't know how you would ask for that though. but really it is only for a little bit and no one will be smoking

i think it would fine... if your really concerned about it though, let your friend know your concerns and ask if it would be to much of a hassle for them to maybe step outside to smoke before you come over and air out the house a good two hours before you go over there, that way the house is circulating fresh air, but you won't have to worry about keeping windows or doors open if its cold out with your baby there

It is entirely your call. As long as they are not smoking around the baby, and if you don't make your stay too long, if you are that concerned, then I doubt there will be a problem.

My son and I lived with my parents for a month after I had him by c-section, and we were both fine, considering my parents smoked in whatever room we were not in.

It's entirely your call, maternal instinct is better than none.