I'm told you can't be a good writer without being a good drinker. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

I don't think so, but it might really depend on what you write and how you write it.

I've written dozens of technical manuals on the job, all sober, and they were well received. I've written fiction both drunk and sober, and I think both were good. I've also written journalism both drunk and sober, and the results have also been good.

What I have found is that writing drunk is like being drunk - your inhibitions are relaxed. I sometimes use metaphors or write things that push the boundary between human and shock value.

Here is an example from what I've done. Four women won a four minute shopping spree, where all the clothes they could get on their bodies was theirs. I had to describe the event.

Nice, sober version: They run around frantically grabbing clothing off the shelves, rushing from rack to rack to find items they want before the time limit expires.

Not-sober version: The four women run around faster than middle-aged spinsters rushing to grab the bridal bouquet at a wedding, and by the time they are finished the store looks like a hurricane hit it.

Both versions express the situation, but one does it factually, and the other uses metaphors to indicate the events. Which is more entertaining?

Source(s): 7 years amateur writer and columnist

This really depends on how open you are with yourself. Many writers feel a few drinks lower their inhibitions and reservations thereby making it easier to write about certain topics without akwardness. You may also hear a say they think of ideas drunk that would not normally come to them sober. It really depends on what works for you. If you do decide that a few drinks help your writing flow, just remember it will take that much longer to edit your work for grammar, spelling and sense. Editing must be done sober as drinking represses those skills that are helpful for editing.

There have been great male fiction writers who were also great drinkers, but its not rule. There are a lot of bad drunk writers.

Source(s): Hunter S Thompson, Jack London, Winston Churchill, Ernest Hemingway, Charles Bukowski, Mark Twain, etc.

What these people actually mean is that you need to be in a certain mental state (by numbing the consciousness with alcohol) where the societies conditioning will not affect your judgement on what/how you write. For someone it's drinking, for someone else it's weed, for someone else it's cocaine, for another it's meditating...

Source(s): One of my friend's used to think that way aswell...now at 28 she's an alcholic with cirrhosis of the liver...
  • TIna

Sounds like someone was making excuses. I've heard that, too, and it's utter rubbish.

I dont think thats true, but i would see how someone would say that

When your drunk/high your mind wanders off into adventure

Absolutly wrong, Not like that.