Nicole asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

hot tubs = cold or hot?

um.. well i thought my friends were kind of crazy cuz they were going into their hot tub and it was like cold outside like not VERY cold but u know and i live in Illinois and i wa like wuldnt u be cold? and they were like no bec it's hot water and im like yeah but maybe when u get out n they were like no its not cold when u get out... soooooo whos right? me or my friends?

Favorite Answer

Sure they are gonna be wamr inside the hot tub but when they get out they will get extremely cold for sure. This is because cold air is attracted to wamr air and all the cold air will consume them. they will pretty much be as cold(when getting out) as they would be sitting in a freezing cold pool when its snowing. not a bright idea this could cause heart failure because the heart will try and heat the bodt up too fast and just give up. no matter how hot the water is it is not a good idea if it is winter in illinois.

Source(s): physics solves everything. go physics :]
  • Edith

Going into a hot tub when its hot doesn't serve much of a purpose. Going into a hot tub when its cold will warm you up nicely, sure when you get out you will be a bit cold but hey grab a towel and have a shower or something.

Well your friends are right because I live in Ohio and I went to this indoor waterpark we have called Kalahari and they have an indoor outdoor hot tub and when you get in and go outside you can sit in there all night and will not be cold because the water is so hot and it's giving off steam the air will actually feel great!!!!!

Source(s): Personal Experience I was amazed too.
  • Ashlee

Yeah it cold when you get out but that y you run to the house and warm up.. but in the hot tub it feels good i have done it before.. maybe you should join them!! Give it a try :]

Hot tubs and spa's are more popular in cold weather countries than in hot. Swedes think that it is healthy to jump in the snow or cold water after you are in a hot tub. I have no clue if that is for real, but they have been doing it for hundreds of years

You would be right, but considering that the hot tub is hot, and you are in it and you get out, your body would stay that temperature for a few seconds until it maintains homeostasis then you would be cold. So in lamens terms, you are technically correct.

• Irish

People go in hot tubs in cold weather all the time.

No one was right. If the air is colder than the water, then you feel cold when you get out. If the air is warmer, you'll feel cold in the hot tub, and getting out you'll feel warmer.

It's only cold when you get in/out of the tub. Otherwise it's great. warm and romantic. especially if it's snowing and you have a good bottle of wine or champagne!

Hot tubs (or even heated pools!) are always fun to go in when it's cold out. I once had a snowball fight in a heated pool. And it was like 10degrees.....But yeah when you come out your freeze you but off.