JenEstes asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Mitchell and his Red Sox ties...?

Anyone find it a conflict of interest that the man leading the investigation is a partial Red Sox owner?

Favorite Answer

Absolutely I think there's a conflict of interest with Mitchell and his ties to the Red Sox. During the summer, I was listening to a sports talk show on the radio, and they read an excellent column by a sporswriter, but I can't remember her name. The columinist said something that really caught my attention. She wrote that some players have been caught, others have been named as having allegedly taken performance-enhancing drugs---but none of them have been Boston Red Sox. Maybe it's nothing, but maybe Mitchell has shied away from naming players from his team.

I have do disagree with QBASS's argument. Mitchell is more likely to name a Red Sox player just to show he isn't biased? Huh? That alone is dishonest. Does anyone really think that Mitchell is going to name a player from his team just to cover his rear end? I don't think so. The whole point is for him to treat all teams and players the same, and to do the job for which he was hired to do, to name as many players as he could, regardless of the team they play for. I am saying he is human and won't be able to name key players from his own team.

George Mitchell is a man of the utmost integrity. Hell after leaving politics the man brokered peace in Northern Ireland. You need someone connected to the sport which mean they have to come from some organization..

Bottom line, how many people have impecable integrety, a working lnowledge of MLB and the ability to manage such an enournous investigation?

I can only think of three Red Sox players who I suspect. Two now play for other teams and one is retired. This doesn't include Roger Clemens, who will definitely be named.

There may well be former Red Sox players on that list. I would not be surprised if they ended up as Yankees subsequently. I hope there are no current Red Sox players on the list. But I dealt with Rodney Harrison taking HGH, so I will deal with the disappointment if any current Red Sox do appear on the list.

Definitely. They should have hired a guy with no bias and Mitchell is far from that. He is even returning to the Red Sox after the investigation. Plus all of that what if investigating he did was really bad. They made a bad choice hiring him...

Yes, and I wonder if any former or current Red sox players will be on that list. You know what he did to Paul Byrd of Cleveland during the playoffs.

What would you expect from a commissioner who was owner of a franchise (ok, so he transferred ownership to his daughter....and Bonds did not take steroids). Mitchell is a career politician and the ultimate bureaucratic insider. The report is allegedly naming players past and present...but I wager the team owners & league officials during this "era" won't have such culpability.

Yes... Something tells me some Red Sox players may be left out of the report...

well, i guess we will see how many red sox are on their,right?

i mean, it seems to me that david ortiz could come under suspicion, he got big quick, he is susceptible to knee and elbow injuries, and if a guy can hit a lot of long balls in boston but have not done the same in the "homer dome" where balls fly, gotta make you wonder, doesnt it?

Obviously the comissioner of baseabll didn't think so. Who would you suggest? Someone who has no ties to baseball at all? It'd be tough for them to get into the "inside" and get real information if they weren't already part of the game. The fact that he works with the RED SOX makes it MORE likely that a SOX player will be named, if for nothing else just to prove he wasn't biased at all.

We'll know for sure if there are NO Red Sox on his bad-boy list.